Quidditch Weekly

Get creative and develop stories around your team, players and staff.
Xter
Hall-Of-Famer
Team Name: MU, MM, FFH, HC, GL

Re: Quidditch Weekly

Postby Xter » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:18 am

Is Quidditch Rigged?
Lambert Stephen

Harrogate Villains have sealed the Honour League title with there still being 4 match days to play. This is a feat of great skill and managerial talent, beating the back-to-back champions Phoenixes, and mythical manager Myth. Winning by such a wide margin is unheard of these days, with the race for the league titles being within 4 games in... all of Steel and below? Wait what? Honour, Gold, Silver, Bronze I and Bronze II are all beyond 4 games? Such is the reality of modern quidditch, I fear. Has the game degraded to where a single team can win honour by 5 games? 8 games? 10 games? How is that a competition, if a team is winning by such a large margin, what is there to compete for? Managers strive to win first, not second! This is the problem with quidditch today.

Why is this so? The Phoenixes were a rarity when they won two in a row, the Dragonriders won in season 36. Relegation in 37. Are managers making a winning team for a season and then selling off to rebuild? Why would any manager want this? One of the signs of a great team is consistency of vying for a title. Look at the Basingstoke Biscione. They are an example of consistency. Next year the biscione will not have a player over 27, yet will be a strong side in their own right. This gives them a minimum of 5 chances to win the title, without the need for transfers, or any of that. What makes the Biscione stand out is their dedication to their youth of a couple of years, and the fall they took. The main advantage that other young teams do not have that the Biscione had was money. Money to afford a full academy. Do young talented clubs have this? No.

So is this splurge of champions to no ones just a side-affect of "get to the top, ($$$), then drop" strategy? Becuase teams that have been in honour for many seasons, have not been winning honour for many seasons. You cannot give players 4 matches a day in honour, so maybe the only choice to try for a 5 seasons in a row championship run is to go "full Basingstoke". Such is the state of Quidditch today.

However there is a more...sinister...possibility. It is possible that these top teams are paying to win. Paying the refs. Paying the league. Paying the fans! Such treachery is possibly afoot. With the discovery of the Muggle Inept Blatters' bribery scandal, wizards and witches alike are worried. Hopefully next season will be more competitive. Throughout this season I will search to eliminate potential bribes and scandals from happening. I will go undercover, and hopefully will find out how it is like on the inside of the Quiddtich machine.

Until I resurface, probably after being waterboarded and left to die in the Sahara desert, farewell.
Xter

Millport Quidditch Association
Fareham Fighting-Hamsters Organization
Glasglow Lagavulin Organization
Halifax Canadiens Organization

Founder, Chief Editor, and Writer at Quidditch Weekly

Contact
Deatheater
Legend
Team Name: None anymore

Postby Deatheater » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Quidditch Weekly
World Cup II
by Brock O. Lee

Coming up is the famous World Cup! No sport is anything without a tournament where countries all around the world come to one place to battle it out for one giant, shining, glorious trophy! This year the countries will be gathering in beautiful Australia, the country of the past winners! We'll see games across the country, in Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, and of course, Syndey. The opening ceremony is always a sight to behold, from the presentation of the flags, to the amazing acts varying by performer. And we all love when every single player of each nation out to one pitch and holds hands, to show the friendship between wizards and witches of all nationalities, races, and ages. Quidditch Weekly will be keeping you updated on the ceremonies, events, matches, and of course, interviews! With the excitement of these games and so many great players, it's hard not to be a little bit jumpy and joyful during the Cup! We hope you have as much fun as we do for this year's and the second World Cup!

Ew why was my signature so cheesy?

Really, song lyrics? Yeesh, I haven't left all of my cringiness behind. I promise, it's mostly gone now.

I should have at least quoted a less dramatic song.
Xter
Hall-Of-Famer

Postby Xter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:40 pm

World Cup Group Stage Day 9
Match of the Day
Reginald Hodges

Many Quidditch fans alike are awaiting the start of the Nations Cup, to see the best players in the world compete at the highest level. Located in beautiful Australia, the defending world champions play local rival New Zealand for today's game of the week. The two teams are fierce rivals, and the Australian national players will not want to disappoint their fans. The teams don't look even on paper, but in this match, anything could happen.

Australia Image

For the Australian side, look for Coral Gordon and Bernice Cole to stop New Zealand's star Chaser, Primrose Bloom. Bloom is having a stellar domestic run of form with a 57.8% goal completion. Australian seeker Millicent McLeod is also in form with a 67.8% duel win percentage. This along with a potent chaser line and a keeper who could turn into a brick wall (literally) could spell a blowout for New Zealand.

New Zealand Image

The weaker team on paper, New Zealand comes into this match looking to upset the reigning world champions, Australia. Adler Logan, Seeker for the Blackpool Phoenix, will have his hands full to keep his team in the match, or to win it for them in the clutch. Primrose Bloom needs to contribute with many goals, but Australia has one of the best chaser lines in the world. Lastly, Keeper Ramsey Uddin needs to outperform everyone else on the pitch to keep the final in New Zealand's favor.

Predicted outcome:

Australia with the win, by 100-250.
Xter

Contact
Xter
Hall-Of-Famer

Postby Xter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:04 am

[+] NSFW
*note* I do not know the academies and broom levels of every honor team. This means I have to guess. I'm gonna guess that everyone has a full academy minus Dragon and Spa, as those seem to be upgrades not a lot of people have. Also, I don't know how much of a nest egg some teams have. This means I have to guess as well. I'm assuming every honor team has roughly 75,000 Galleons floating around.

Cost of Honor

Quidditch is truly a global game. Wizards and Witches from around the globe play our beloved game, and why would they not? Fast and exciting, risk and reward, the adrenaline of a race for the snitch, the skill, the tactics, quidditch is the pinnacle of wizard sport! But one aspect of the game often left out of the spotlight is how valuable are quidditch teams? This is a good question, and the answer is complex. What all goes into the value of a quidditch club? This year marks the 46th season of the BQL. The teams in honour must be worth the most money, but how many golden galleons are they worth? Goblins far and wide have been consulted, and so here is the breakdown of every honor league squad.

Here is my final report:

Team Name Total Value

Badgers 1,951,500
Legionaires 1,747,500
Mifflins 1,679,500
Giants 1,624,500
Ashwinders 1,592,500
Heroes 1,470,500
Catchers 1,456,500
Lagavulin 1,430,500
Huskies 1,426,500
Corgis 1,423,500
Villains 1,413,500
Bobcats 1,342,500
Dynamo 1,303,500
Fighting-Hamsters 1,296,500
Bangtails 1,203,500
Hood 1,142,500

The main source of value was in the value of a teams players, since honor teams make more money and in general generate more youths, they have more players thus more value. In muggle money, the top team would be worth 19,651,605 USD while the lowest team would be worth 11,504,975 USD. This is worth more than any American Football team. Until next time, QW investigating crew over and out.
Xter

Contact
K2SC
Starter
Team Name: Manchester Mandrills

Postby K2SC » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:43 am

Xter wrote: This is worth more than any American Football team.

Not more than any soccer--sorry, association football team :P
K2SC,
Manager-Owner, Manchester Mandrills
"Ape over us!"
~Since 1907
Speedy
Legend
Team Name: Crewe Cuts

Postby Speedy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:29 am

What's great about the Badgers is that I bought all those players when they were 17/18, and many were 1:1 player trades with Badgers academy spawns, so I think I spent less than 80,000 G in total.

Also, I don't know about the other Honour teams, but I would assume that most have the Dragon and Spa. Those are both vital to all of my teams' academies.
Sokolov
Hall-Of-Famer
Team Name: Bristol Bangtails

Postby Sokolov » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:36 am

Dragon for sure, the spa i just acquired recently though.
I explained to Xter, unless he sees a team pumping out top tier youth, it is likely that they have none of the upgrades that give only youth bonuses, but all the others.
Bristol Bangtails
Honour League
Founded Season 19
:Honour2nd: :Honour2nd: :Honour2nd: :Honour3rd:
:Gold1st: :Silver1st: :Bronze1st: :Steel1st: :Iron1st:
Xter
Hall-Of-Famer

Postby Xter » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:18 am

Speedy wrote:What's great about the Badgers is that I bought all those players when they were 17/18, and many were 1:1 player trades with Badgers academy spawns, so I think I spent less than 80,000 G in total.

Also, I don't know about the other Honour teams, but I would assume that most have the Dragon and Spa. Those are both vital to all of my teams' academies.

Sokolov wrote:Dragon for sure, the spa i just acquired recently though.
I explained to Xter, unless he sees a team pumping out top tier youth, it is likely that they have none of the upgrades that give only youth bonuses, but all the others.

In the end, I decided that I would find an average, so I looked at teams that seemed to pump out youth, and those who didn't, and this seemed to be a happy medium. In the future, I hope to have time to speculate the academies values more accurately. However, Spa and Dragon would increase team value by ~30,000 so it is not a killer factor.
Xter

Contact
Xter
Hall-Of-Famer

Postby Xter » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:35 pm

Nations Cup!

After catchy intro jingle and graphic, as well as a highlight montage...not necessarily in that order, camera pans in at our analysts Safira Fernandez and Kent Davidson, and host Reginald Hodges

Reginald (R): Here we are folks after an exciting day of quidditch, and we are here today to give you a full recap of today's top matches! We had pool play from Pools A and Pool B. With me today are former legends Safira Fernandez and Kent Davidson. Welcome guys!

Safira (S): Great to be on the show! Thanks for having me!

Kent (K): Yes! Truly a pleasure!

R: Glad you're here! So guys, let's start with one of the bigger story lines today, the new nations in the Cup, Russia, Nigeria, and India. What are your guys' thoughts on them?

K: Well looking at Russia, they are a fairly average team in talent, they should hold their own, but with their captain and top player Pavel Ovetchkin at the old age of 32, their future doesn't look to bright, as a youngster might not be as good as him.

S: I agree with you there Kent, Russia looks like they could be competitive against some of the weaker teams, but against a top squad like Northern Ireland, they won't stand a chace, and if you look at that game, Northern Ireland dominated the stat line, and it was only close because it was short. Good technique on the duel from both seekers, but Prowse got the win, and it would have been a suicide snitch anyways.

R: Yes. Let's take a look at the highlights from that match, and move on.

Highlight montage plays

R: Ok. Nigeria is another new team. They also look fairly average, and they played Hungary, and they seemed to do well there.

K: Well they were clearly outclassed in this match, but Igbo Aduku definitely looked like a star seeker out there, tried his hardest and did well in those duels.

S: Igbo Aduku has some great speed and is very alert. At 34 years though, his technique is sloppy for someone with that experience, and I know back when I played I didn't let my technique slide like that. Nigeria will have a new seeker next cup, and I can almost guarantee that!

R: On to the big one, MAJOR CUPSET over defending champs Ireland. For some reason Frederica Johns starts as seeker. That is what lost them the game in my opinion. Johns over Preece, an honor seeker for the Portsmouth Phoenixes, would have won that duel yes?

Kent starts to speak, but Safira cuts him off

S: Preece would have won. Santo is a good seeker, but he isn't at the same level as Preece. Ireland would have won no problem. However, the 6 other players for both teams played well and they definitely kept the game close with some great play.

Highlight montage plays

K: On Ireland yes. Great game from Ireland's beaters, they are looking like the top pair this tourney. Balanced chaser line starts, McIntosh lagging behind the other chasers, but she is young. She will only get better. Keepers were respectable, 50% and 49%, which is about all you can ask of your keeper. Cristóvão Junqueira is the real reason Portugal won. He lead the game in goal % and goals, which takes a lot of skill, and he played extremely well on the defensive side, leading the chasers in interceptions. The beaters and rest of the chasers were sub-par in their performance.

R: Wonder who the next cupsetter will be! France with the big win over Egypt, we all saw that coming

Kent an Safira nod agreement

And the Badg---I mean Spain, and Australia also win. Must be nice chemistry and they all know how to play with each other! They're my favorites to win, but this is the Cup of Nations after all!

Now, for some of the top plays of the day!

Montage with emotional music

Looking ahead now, which group will be the tightest?

S: I think Group A. Northern Ireland, France, and Ireland are all good teams. Ireland looks on form besides a poor manager, but they could take it all.

K: I have to disagree. Group C I think will be tight for that last spot. Good group to watch.

R: Well, we can all agree at least that Group B is clear cut, Spain and Argentina move on for sure. And with that, we will have a word from our sponsors, and the we'll head down to Clarence and Justice for the Pernicio Pregame show for Scotland-Canada! Should be great match, right after this!

Commercials.
Last edited by Xter on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xter

Contact
Cygnus
Site Admin
Team Name: Cardiff Corgis

Postby Cygnus » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:46 pm

My fav sports show! Just a comment, CWC is the abbreviation for the Club World Cup and this is the Nations Cup. The link next to League is wrong right now. I'll try to make it show up dynamically soon.

Awesome read and glad my ex player Safira is a commentator now!

Member of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club

Return to “Roleplay”