In-Browser Player Analysis

Talk about what worked out for you on QManager. Strategies, fun things or just habits you acquired.
Speedy
Legend
Team Name: Crewe Cuts

In-Browser Player Analysis

Postby Speedy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:04 pm

I know a number of us use spreadsheets to monitor our players and also to scout for new ones but I've been thinking about whether some of this could be automated, in-browser.

Does anyone know of a plugin/app/addon/extension which would automatically process data on (for example) the player page and then display the weighted ranking or value next to the other player attributes?

Because that would be amazing! Something like this HAS to exist - right?
Xter
Hall-Of-Famer
Team Name: MU, MM, FFH, HC, GL

Re: In-Browser Player Analysis

Postby Xter » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Doing this in-browser without editing the website source code to display position-based averages(which would give the best and easiest to see and use results), I would check the Chrome Store for an add-on or two, and possibly Google add-ons too. Doing this in a spreadsheet would be easier, but not in browser. But in lieu of an add-on, here's how I would do a spreadsheet:

The first step, in my opinion, to weigh the player attributes (ex. SPD,ACC,AGI...etc) based on which attributes matter more for each position, and then take ALL the attributes (except CHA and MOR? still a bit green on QM) and average them out, but find a way to weight them accordingly so the attributes that matter have more influence on the average of the player in question. So making a spreadsheet to get a general idea would be fairly easy.

Don't know how helpful this will be, but I hope it does help.
Xter

Millport Quidditch Association
Fareham Fighting-Hamsters Organization
Glasglow Lagavulin Organization
Halifax Canadiens Organization

Founder, Chief Editor, and Writer at Quidditch Weekly

Contact
Speedy
Legend

Postby Speedy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:41 pm

Xter wrote:Doing this in-browser without editing the website source code to display position-based averages(which would give the best and easiest to see and use results), I would check the Chrome Store for an add-on or two, and possibly Google add-ons too. Doing this in a spreadsheet would be easier, but not in browser. But in lieu of an add-on, here's how I would do a spreadsheet:

The first step, in my opinion, to weigh the player attributes (ex. SPD,ACC,AGI...etc) based on which attributes matter more for each position, and then take ALL the attributes (except CHA and MOR? still a bit green on QM) and average them out, but find a way to weight them accordingly so the attributes that matter have more influence on the average of the player in question. So making a spreadsheet to get a general idea would be fairly easy.

Don't know how helpful this will be, but I hope it does help.

I already copy/paste the table of data from a player profile and let my Excel spreadsheet figure out the player's best position, etc.
But an addon that could be altered to do this for me (displayed on the profile, not input into a spreadsheet) would be amazing!
Xter
Hall-Of-Famer
Team Name: MU, MM, FFH, HC, GL

Postby Xter » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:12 pm

But an addon that could be altered to do this for me (displayed on the profile, not input into a spreadsheet) would be amazing!

The add-on your looking for probably doesn't exist, because it's such a case specific thing, although maybe a weighted average exists. I am not sure, so keep on spreadsheeting, it's the best option currently.
Xter

Millport Quidditch Association
Fareham Fighting-Hamsters Organization
Glasglow Lagavulin Organization
Halifax Canadiens Organization

Founder, Chief Editor, and Writer at Quidditch Weekly

Contact
Speedy
Legend

Postby Speedy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:45 am

Looks like my best bet (besides the current spreadsheet system) is a Greasemonkey script. Nothing already exists for this site but a bunch of addons and scripts already exist for similar games (i.e. Hattrick), so I can try to learn from those...
Osklift
Rookie
Team Name: Bedford Bolsheviks

Postby Osklift » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:56 pm

I know this topic is very old, but I wondered how your research into greasemonkey etc went, and whether or not you would be willing to share your spreadsheet? I am not very skilled at excel, and I am very new to QQM and fantasy sports games in general, so it would be interesting to have a look and possibly learn some new stuff.

Cheers
Bedford Bolsheviks - Brutal Dictator First Citizen
Founded S40, Currently Iron League S41
Working on a massive stadium that has room for all the comrades!
Speedy
Legend

Postby Speedy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:39 am

Osklift wrote:I know this topic is very old, but I wondered how your research into greasemonkey etc went, and whether or not you would be willing to share your spreadsheet? I am not very skilled at excel, and I am very new to QQM and fantasy sports games in general, so it would be interesting to have a look and possibly learn some new stuff.

Cheers

The spreadsheet is still going strong but every attempt I made to make the process automated failed miserably.
I have spreadsheets on my phone now, but that is almost not worth doing because there is too much information for a screen of ~5 inches in size.

As for sharing it though, I'd rather not. They are all my own work after many hours of scouring players and calculating common trends in key stats.
Not only are they not common knowledge, they're probably not even fully accurate. Your guess might even be better than my own.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”