Which friendly should you accept?

Talk about what worked out for you on QManager. Strategies, fun things or just habits you acquired.
Speedy
Legend
Team Name: Crewe Cuts

Which friendly should you accept?

Postby Speedy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:32 pm

When it comes to accepting friendlies, the general rule seems to be that for upper-tier clubs, anything is better than nothing (for the match exp and/or form boost and/or proficiency boost) and for lower tier clubs, money is key. This is why smaller clubs or rebuilding clubs often offer 0% revenue on their friendlies, and why large teams consistently accept those games - despite being offered no money to do so. Occasionally we see very large teams offering 0% and very small teams offering large percentages, but those are rarer occurrences. If a lot of teams restrict their offer (using "min Pop" or "max Div," to exclude tiny clubs or successful clubs respectively) then you may only have one option when you sign in. If you can't sign in multiple times in a day, or you have a number of teams and want friendlies for all of them, you pretty much take what you can.

However, if you did have a choice, and it comes down purely to the money you'll likely bring in, then there is a simple way of knowing which option to pick.

In the above instance, clicking each team name will take you to their team pages. Here we can see popularity again, but crucially we can also see the stadium size. Popularity affects ticket sales in friendlies quite a lot, more so for the home team, so picking an offer which is a smaller Revenue % from a larger club is sometimes optimal, all other things being equal. However, the important information to consider in this situation is Stadium size. A friendly match played at an Honour league stadium with 32,000 seats can bring in up to ~1,500 G. A friendly in a packed 900 seat stadium can never bring in more than 45 G. In this instance, 5% of 1,500 G would be 80 G for the visitor - while 50% at a 1,050 seat stadium would be little more than 50 G.

For larger clubs, this is minimal. However, over the course of a 31-day season, this is almost 1,000 G less when taking the 50% offer (which won't always be available), so to smaller clubs - it's worth a second or two to pick the optimal choice.

Full disclosure: One of the above offers is from my own team. However, I hadn't run the numbers before this point - so I always considered 5% to be generous enough. Now I'm thinking I'll start offering 10% instead of 5%. We all learned something here today.
Deniz87
Captain
Team Name: Paddock Wood Fairies

Re: Which friendly should you accept?

Postby Deniz87 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:54 pm

Thank you Speedy.
PADDOCK WOOD FAIRIES | :Iron1st: S.39 :Steel1st: S.42
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Postby Zankman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Good stuff Speedy, will surely be helpful for some users.

Personally, my Home Friendlies have a solid Popularity requirement as well as a Max Div. set to 5. I also offer a solid amount of % for my Guests.

This means that the revenue won't be anything special - however, I do this because so as to secure wins and thus Form for my players.

Back when I was winning most League Matches, I sought the most profitable Friendly Matches, both for Home and Away.
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).
cygnus-flamel
Hall-Of-Famer
Team Name: Swansea Alchemists, Dublin BlackCats, Convocation

Postby cygnus-flamel » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:17 pm

I detest teams that doesnt offer even a minimal amount of revenue for the visiting team, i generally prefer to go without one friendly than accepting those friendlies, its my way of trying to encourage revenue sharing, although generally i dont have to resort to that.
Swansea Alchemists. Founded season 25.
Titles: :Steel1st: S.30, :Bronze1st: S.38, :Silver1st: s.40

Dublin BlackCats. Founded season 29.
Titles: Oak S.30, :Steel1st: s.41
Ripp
Captain
Team Name: Newcastle Gunslingers, Poole Koerakoonlased

Postby Ripp » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:26 pm

cygnus-flamel wrote:I detest teams that doesnt offer even a minimal amount of revenue for the visiting team, i generally prefer to go without one friendly than accepting those friendlies, its my way of trying to encourage revenue sharing, although generally i dont have to resort to that.

True. It's a joke to offer 0% for a visiting team.
Newcastle Gunslingers
"We deal in lead, friend."
Cygnus
Site Admin
Team Name: Cardiff Corgis

Postby Cygnus » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:39 pm

I think it's fair, if you're offering to take a beating from a bigger team.

Member of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Postby Zankman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Yup, I personally offer between 10-15 even... Which is a nice amount for a 32K stadium and a team of my (solid) popularity level.

I simply see it as a "Right, if you accept my Friendly Offer as per my Max Div and Min Popularity, you'll get crushed - but you'll get some money for it!" type of deal.

:D
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).
Shakers
Starter
Team Name: Bury Shakers

Postby Shakers » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:24 am

We aren't running charities... We're running sports club. Need money, make money.
#wearethe13
Ripp
Captain
Team Name: Newcastle Gunslingers, Poole Koerakoonlased

Postby Ripp » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Well, if everyone offered say 10%, nobody wouldn't lose any money really. But right now people see other people offering 0% and naturally they want to save their friendly income by offering 0% also. Fortunetly, by the end of the day, the greedy teams offering 0% are the ones that are most likely to not find a friendly and therefore lose training. I just hope natural selection does it's thing.
Newcastle Gunslingers
"We deal in lead, friend."
Speedy
Legend
Team Name: Crewe Cuts

Postby Speedy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:01 pm

It's funny that this post started getting a response 2 months after I wrote it.

With my teams, I offer 0-5% if outside of the top four tiers, and 10% if in Honour/Gold/Silver/Bronze (generally). The exception to this is if I'm rebuilding, because at that point, the league my team is in does not reflect their actual skill (as demonstrated aptly by the Badgers finishing in 16th multiple seasons in a row). Once I am on my way back up the pyramid, the Badgers will offer more again and order will be restored to the Quidditch universe.

I have no problem accepting 0% offers from teams in Steel/Iron/Oak/Sapling, but I often avoid large teams' offers of 0% and try to wait for a better offer.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”