Goodbye, Quidditch Manager

Updates on anything regarding QManager
Cygnus
Site Admin
Team Name: Cardiff Corgis

Goodbye, Quidditch Manager

Postby Cygnus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:54 am

It is with a heavy heart that I have to inform you that Quidditch Manager will be discontinued at the end of the current season.

Quidditch Manager started as an idea while I was a PhD student and the first version was released on August 24th, 2012. It has been my first public venture into programming and I basically learned PHP and SQL by putting together and continously adding features to the game. Creating an online multiplayer game has always been challenging and I was able to gather a huge amount of experience.

Now, with a full-time job and married, the time I am able to invest in such projects is getting scarce and more precious.

Since Quidditch Manager was born from scratch and without previous experience, it has been far from easy to administer and modify. It has taken a lot of energy to maintain and enhance, even though user numbers have never taken off. Being very niche-based and partly relying on a fandom past its peak, Quidditch Manager was set to stay small and with that adequate to experiment with various aspects, without the strict requirement to be perfect.

I have had an exceptionally great time with Quidditch Manager, which involved making friends across the globe, having a friendly and productive community, who significantly helped me with my decisions, hosting livestreams of world cup match draws and countless moments more!

Quidditch Manager is a part of my life and probably influenced me more than I would like to admit.

A big Thank You to all who participated, whether it was sticking with the game for more than three years or just creating a team and immediately abandoning it.

You all left your mark in the history of Quidditch Manager and I am glad to have created a game that you felt like signing up for.

I know that some people have lived Quidditch Manager intensely, some have made long term plans for their teams in the game and I am sorry to severely disappoint you with this announcement.

It was a difficult decision, but now it is time for me to move on. I am going to take a break for a while, but already have some ideas in mind, to transfer everything I learned from Quidditch Manager into something bigger.

Please drop me a line through the feedback tab or the forums, if you would like to keep in contact.

Who knows, we might meet again in a future endeavour!

Thanks again and snitch, snitch hooray!

André / Cygnus

Member of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
Deniz87
Captain
Team Name: Paddock Wood Fairies

Re: Goodbye, Quidditch Manager

Postby Deniz87 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:58 am

I don't know if this is a joke or not (I don't see this message on twitter and facebook yet) but regardless.... I tell you I would not be angry about it. Sad but not angry. I'd perfectly understand. You're the boss here....you make the rules and make decisions. I accept them.

And yes,I'd like to keep in contact with you! =)
PADDOCK WOOD FAIRIES | :Iron1st: S.39 :Steel1st: S.42
Shakers
Starter
Team Name: Bury Shakers

Postby Shakers » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:00 pm

You do you Andre. I'm so thankful I had the opportunity to play with you all over the last so many months.
I don't need to keep playing all the other seasons where I would have easily won Honour league 6 seasons in a row. I'll just die knowing that it WOULD have happened.

Take care of yourself, where do we cash in all our spare Galleons ;)
#wearethe13
Deatheater
Legend
Team Name: None anymore

Postby Deatheater » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:05 pm

Good luck to you and your wife. Be happy, Cygnus, for this is only the beginning of your true life.
Ew why was my signature so cheesy?

Really, song lyrics? Yeesh, I haven't left all of my cringiness behind. I promise, it's mostly gone now.

I should have at least quoted a less dramatic song.
Cygnus
Site Admin

Postby Cygnus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Thank you for your kind words, guys!

It's been great to have you all and it's a hard step to take.

I pondered letting the site run on its own, but it's still just not mature enough and would probably break one day, so I decided to end it definitely.

Sorry that FIS did not become a thing, that some people like Deniz and Ruse just began playing and that this community will probably be disbanded.

As I said, it would be great to have you back in a future game, if it comes to that. I have something football themed in mind, but the idea has not fully matured yet and, as I learned from QM, it would be wise to launch a next project as a complete experience.

Member of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
Deniz87
Captain
Team Name: Paddock Wood Fairies

Postby Deniz87 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Don't worry about me,Andre. I loved this game and even tho I started on late august,it still was a great experience and I'm happy to have been part in some way.

Personal life comes first. Always.

If there will be a future game,I'd be glad to sign in!

hugs
PADDOCK WOOD FAIRIES | :Iron1st: S.39 :Steel1st: S.42
Speedy
Legend
Team Name: Crewe Cuts

Postby Speedy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:02 pm

This is so sad. I love this game. I probably put more time into it than any other game (even Minecraft, The Last of Us, Fallout, Skyrim, or Civilization!) and I was constantly amazed with how much one man had done. As you said, I was one of the managers with plans for the future (Mifflins and Dursleys were going for the long-term success and the Badgers would have been a force to be reckoned with), but others are right - you should do what makes you the most happy. I look forward to seeing whatever else you create and I wish you all the best for your future career and married life.

Cheers, man.
Speedy

Cheers.gif
Cheers.gif (40.42 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
DarioDiConca
All-Star
Team Name: Plymouth Catchers & Isle of Manhood

Postby DarioDiConca » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:19 pm

This is hard to swallow, but i knew someday it may happen, not expecting right now since you seemed very motivated building FIS and everything. I´ve played QM for more than 2 years, and i will not lie, QM had an impact in my life, for 2 years i´ve came here everyday to check my team spending a minimum of 5 minutes per day which gives more (5minutes*365 days per years*2 years) than 3650 minutes playing this game, more than 61 hours of play, not counting with the hours checking the forums or writing roleplays.

QM was one of the best game i ever played, and i played a lot of them, i´ve been playing games since ever, of course when i entered in college and even in high school, my time and motivation to play them started to decrease, so i´ve searched for less time-consuming games and i found QM (also haxball), a perfect match for me, since i´m a huge fan of Harry Potter, Quidditch, and management games and i didn´t have the time to spend in very sophisticated games. For the last months, QM was the only game i´ve been playing, in someway, the "5 minutes in QM" have been my time-travel machine to my childhood moments, a place where i could go just to relax and fell authentic, a place where problems do not exist at all, a place where the enthusiasm of other times come back, a world created by you André that i could explore without a guide.

And one of the most challenging things about QM is that the guide was not perfect xD, and i think that was one of the reason why i got so attached to the game, it was a personal challenge to understand how the game was built and how it works, and i think i was more or less successful doing it.

Yes, i was also one of those who already had long-term goals for the game: winning the CWC (dammm xDD), and become the oldest team in honour league. There are more important things, than those goals, i had a great time playing QM, meeting geeky people like me xd, convincing real-life friends to come play the game. I wish all the good luck to you André, i still think QM has a lot of potential, new Harry Potter movie is coming, some rumors say that a Quidditch movie is on track, and to be honest, i believe that the expertise you´ve won here with this beta version maybe useful to you if you want to launch a new quidditch match around a possible quidditch movie release. A conversion of this game to an App version would be awesome too.

As you said, QM is a niche, and will continue to be until something happen (as i said before - a possible quidditch movie, or even the new harry potter world-based movie that may increase the interest for this game)

I´ve appreciate your heroic effort on building QM, i knew that will be almost impossible for a single person to maintain for a long-time just for fun, and not understanding almost anything of coding and programming, i know that maintaining a game/web site (even without adding features) is not an easy task. I wish i understand something about programming, i would be happy to at least help in maintaining the game.

It was a pleasure to meet you all, i hope i can see you again in the future :D

Now i need to search for "5 minutes of something else" xDD
:WC2nd: Season 28, 32, 48
:Honour1st: Season 27, 48
:WC3rd: Season 36
:Honour2nd: Season 26, 45,46
:Honour3rd: Season 25,34,35,37,47,49
:Bronze1st: Season 20
:Steel1st: Season 17

Founded Season 14
Founder of the "dealer system" club
Founder of the "lose 2 CWC finals in a row" club
Founder of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
Cygnus
Site Admin

Postby Cygnus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Thanks, Speedy and Dario! You have contributed a lot to QM, being a staple on the forums, always reporting bugs and bringing your suggestions to the table.

Speedy was basically Quidditch Manager's "spell check", reporting every dent and inconsistency in the game, making up his own spreadsheet analysis and even learning how to use Excel for us. Apart from being one of the most successful managers in QM and running a human trade business with his teams on the side.

Dario always had great interaction on the forums, making up loan terms and also putting together awesome lineups over the years. Your post is really touching! I'm glad I was able to give you that!

And this is basically what kept me running over all those years. Seeing how a few people deeply enjoyed playing QM, a game that I created because there was nothing like it out there.

cp4cfc
Starter
Team Name: Gillingham Giants, Chatham Chavs

Postby cp4cfc » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:40 pm

:cry: :cry: Sad to hear the site will no longer exist. I will admit as my team are rebuilding I haven't been as interested in the game as I was when I was on the up, but I still check every day or two. Like other people have said, since this was a one man venture, you did a hell of a lot of good work and I'd wager it took a lot of hours, which you for obvious reasons, cannot commit anymore. I hope you keep all the code, so you could in the future revamp it, add your new features, and maybe with the help of people, start the site again. Quidditch is such a niche market for a management game but that's what I liked. Too many football or American football ones. Niche may never take off, but you'll always build a good group of loyal fans and I hope to see another game of yours in the future. Good luck with your job, wife and anything else life throws at you.
CWC Winner S44 :WC1st:

Return to “Announcements”