You changed my mind

Updates on anything regarding QManager
Matthueycamo
Legend
Team Name: Basingstoke Biscione

Re: You changed my mind

Postby Matthueycamo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Definitely a metaphor. Really means bugchecker.
Founded season 15 matchday 4, 22/10/2013(15th of March 2027)

Iron 3 Champions 2028
Steel 1 Promotion 2031
Bronze 1 Champions 2034
Silver Runners Up 2035
Gold runners Up 2037
Gold Promotion 2041
Total Competitive Record: 723-544. 57.06% Win
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Postby Zankman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:12 pm

Matthueycamo wrote:*long post about QM and other potential games*

I'll just chime in to say that the topic of E-Sports could REALLY use a great management game. As far as I know (and I have searched far and wide!), there are only 3 E-Sports Management Games to date - one is in Steam Early Access and is more of a Game Dev Tycoon clone than a Management Game (kinda shitty, getting better though, has some promise, weird Devs with horrible English); The second game was just Greenlight and should release an early version soon enough and it honestly looks a bit more promising, giving that it actually is a Management Game inspired by the likes of Football Manager; The third is a free and very basic (so far) online multyplayer Management Game (like QM!) which is only in Alpha 0.03... It has potential and I have personally written a bunch of feedback after Alpha 0.01 and many of my suggestions have already been implement in Alpha 0.03!

So, anyway, there is still room in the market and, well... A QM-like game for E-Sports sounds amazing! I'm just imagining one right now, using a similar interface and art style for the in-game players... Good stuff.

==============

Obviously, you just decided to keep QM running so I don't want to swamp your mind with my suggestions and wishes - but since you mentioned it, just like Matthueycamo, I felt like mentioning a potential direction for you to go in (business-wise!) would not hurt.

As I see it, primarily seen in the cases of broadcasting platforms and gambling, E-Sports is very much so a booming market that can definitely be capitalized on (750 million dollars in revenue in 2015, estimated to double in 2016...).

Thus, I'd say that making an E-Sports Management Game is probably the best choice if you're going to make a new game.

By topic, I'd order it like so: E-Sports > Football > Gridiron Football > Baseball/Basketball/Hockey > Racing/Tennis > "UK Sports"/Combat Sports > Anything else, fictional or real.

Why E-Sports above Football?

Because you can type "soccer/football manager game" on Google or the iOS and Android App Stores and find literal hundreds of games.

For E-Sports? As I said, 3. No more, no less.

Basically, one market is oversaturated, the other completely unused.

Imagine if you made THE big f2p (or buy to play?) E-Sports Management Game for Browsers/PC & Linux & Mac/iOS & Android & Windows Phone!

(I'll try to make one myself in the coming years, regardless. :P)
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).
Cygnus
Site Admin
Team Name: Cardiff Corgis

Postby Cygnus » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:29 pm

An E-Sports manager game sounds like fun. I'd have to study up on it first though.

It is reasonable that football manager games exist like sand on the beach, so having alternatives to think about is definitely good!

For the E-Sports thing there would be several disciplines to cover like DotA 2, LoL, FIFA, CS etc. Question is, if I would be able to use these names, since they are probably trademarked.
Also the match simulation would be even more complex than Quidditch, I guess. It wouldn't be very interesting to just show who won and lost, you'd see what team member chose what hero/club/weapons/items, how to the match progressed etc.

Thinking about it further, I kind of understand why there aren't any games like that out there. :D

Member of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
Matthueycamo
Legend

Postby Matthueycamo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:46 pm

A game about playing games you could actually be playing instead sounds exceedingly dull. If I was going to try and make the worlds most boring game, an E-Sports sim would be in with a shout.

As a separate thing I doubt you would be able to use said names without a license.

Iron 3 Champions 2028
Steel 1 Promotion 2031
Bronze 1 Champions 2034
Silver Runners Up 2035
Gold runners Up 2037
Gold Promotion 2041
Crompton
Starter
Team Name: Kingston Killers

Postby Crompton » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Team Liquid do (or did) a fantasy SCII game a bit like fantasy football. Based off the Korean proleague season.

I guess a simple version of it would be to have different modes where each mode represented a different style of game that you had to get a roster for. 4 people in FPS, 5 in MOBA etc. Yet as with Matt I'm not sure how well it would really work.
League Record 901-551
Finishes (11, 1, 1 :Iron1st: , 12, 10, 4, 1 :Steel1st: , 5, 4, 1 :Bronze1st: , 1 :Silver1st: , 2, 13, 12, 8, 9, 10, 10, 7, 6, 4 :WC1st: , 11, 6, 8, 4)
Speedy
Legend
Team Name: Crewe Cuts

Postby Speedy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:49 pm

Matthueycamo wrote:A game about playing games you could actually be playing instead sounds exceedingly dull. If I was going to try and make the worlds most boring game, an E-Sports sim would be in with a shout.

As a separate thing I doubt you would be able to use said names without a license.

And yet FM and QM are still fun when you could just play FIFA or Quidditch World Cup, or even real football or muggle quidditch.

I think it sounds good, although I know nothing about ESports
Xter
Hall-Of-Famer
Team Name: MU, MM, FFH, HC, GL

Postby Xter » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:39 am

Speedy wrote:Nah, that's always when it can improve the game, and I think it was a metaphor. More of a QA than a spellcheck, I'd say.
In terms of the forum, many users do not have English as their first language, so to constantly correct them would be discouraging.
Although I'd be fine with people discouraging "Leetspeak" or "text talk" because those are hard for others to understand, which is annoying.

ur rite tat hrd to undrstand, rly hrd. ;)

I gotcha by QA spellcheck, makes sense from what I have seen.
Xter

Millport Quidditch Association
Fareham Fighting-Hamsters Organization
Glasglow Lagavulin Organization
Halifax Canadiens Organization

Founder, Chief Editor, and Writer at Quidditch Weekly

Contact
Matthueycamo
Legend

Postby Matthueycamo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:34 am

Speedy wrote:
Matthueycamo wrote:A game about playing games you could actually be playing instead sounds exceedingly dull. If I was going to try and make the worlds most boring game, an E-Sports sim would be in with a shout.

And yet FM and QM are still fun when you could just play FIFA or Quidditch World Cup, or even real football or muggle quidditch.

FIFA and FM are apples and oranges, comparing them is silly, you don't get the same experience from either one. Same for the quidditch ones. Muggle quiditch is not real quidditch and you can't just go outside whenever you want and play a proper match of football. but if I want to play LoL for example I can join or run a team (I'm semi in one at the moment) play when I want to practice and have competitive play too. They are not equitable in that sense.

Iron 3 Champions 2028
Steel 1 Promotion 2031
Bronze 1 Champions 2034
Silver Runners Up 2035
Gold runners Up 2037
Gold Promotion 2041
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Postby Zankman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Cygnus wrote:An E-Sports manager game sounds like fun. I'd have to study up on it first though.

It is reasonable that football manager games exist like sand on the beach, so having alternatives to think about is definitely good!

For the E-Sports thing there would be several disciplines to cover like DotA 2, LoL, FIFA, CS etc. Question is, if I would be able to use these names, since they are probably trademarked.
Also the match simulation would be even more complex than Quidditch, I guess. It wouldn't be very interesting to just show who won and lost, you'd see what team member chose what hero/club/weapons/items, how to the match progressed etc.

Thinking about it further, I kind of understand why there aren't any games like that out there. :D

Thanks for considering it!

I wouldn't worry about licenses - if you can do Quidditch, you can do this.

Again, I recommend checking out the ones available now.

They are "Pro Gamer Manager", "Cyber Team Manager" and "Strive"- http://strive.gg/.

PGM uses a fake LoL-like game, Strive uses the real names and logos of the games (LoL, DotA 2 and CS:GO) while I don't know what CTM does quite yet.

Oh and yeah, I forgot... There is also CS-Manager, as seen here: http://www.cs-manager.com/?l=en. Unlike Strive it actually has some Premium Purchases elements and it, obviously, very directly uses CS:GO as influence. It's been running for a long while so I don't think that there are any issues with that.

As for which game: Focus on one or be very ambitious and try to cover 2-3!

As for game simulation: You can do it in different ways. A detailed and "realistic one" is also not impossible - for example, one in which there are Patches in the Game World which buff/nerf certain Champions in LoL. Otherwise, yeah, to properly simulate everything, besides the players having stats, you can simulate different roles, strategies, in-game characters, patches...

One way to go would be to have in game Champions/Heroes/whatevers be listed in Tiers by their perceived strength - and then having instructions for your team on which to pick or ban, in what scenario, in what order...

Matthueycamo wrote:

As I said, the licenses probably aren't a problem... If you're running a free game that is run on donations, especially so. If not, just use a fictional name.

And who knows - you can always maybe get the license, who knows what the Devs would think of the idea.

Just a subjective view of yours. Mine is that it would be amazing, it's exactly the game that I want to play right now.

Matthueycamo wrote:FIFA and FM are apples and oranges, comparing them is silly, you don't get the same experience from either one. Same for the quidditch ones. Muggle quiditch is not real quidditch and you can't just go outside whenever you want and play a proper match of football. but if I want to play LoL for example I can join or run a team (I'm semi in one at the moment) play when I want to practice and have competitive play too. They are not equitable in that sense.

Again, I don't want to play LoL with my mates as we struggle to climb to Platinum V in Ranked 5s.

I want to lead a squad, coach my own team, manage my own organization, compete and progress - and, of course, do so at a reasonably quick pace (a season in 20 hours of gameplay, why not?).

So, it's exactly the same as FM. If you like E-Sports and are not content with real ones (which can be such for a myriad or reasons), playing an E-Sports management game is a dream come true.

How is that not the same to watching football and wanting to manage your own club?

Either way, man, if you don't like E-Sports then I don't see why you'd like an E-Sport management game. Not really a fair discussion.

Crompton wrote:Team Liquid do (or did) a fantasy SCII game a bit like fantasy football. Based off the Korean proleague season.

There are tons of Fantasy E-Sports websites already and, just like with Fantasy Sport websites, I don't get the point of them and think that they are incredibly dull.

Either way, just my opinion.

What matters is that it has nothing to do with Management Sims, quite a different thing entirely.

Speedy wrote:And yet FM and QM are still fun when you could just play FIFA or Quidditch World Cup, or even real football or muggle quidditch.

Yup, exactly this.

Not knowing much about E-Sports is reasonable. It is a young scene, the games are often very different - or at least their scenes - things are still kinda amateurish and evolving...

You can of course find out by checking out the scenes of any of the games you may like, for starters.
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).
Matthueycamo
Legend

Postby Matthueycamo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:11 pm

*Mentions sometimes plays an e-sport*

*Accused of not liking e-sports*

Iron 3 Champions 2028
Steel 1 Promotion 2031
Bronze 1 Champions 2034
Silver Runners Up 2035
Gold runners Up 2037
Gold Promotion 2041

Return to “Announcements”