You changed my mind

Updates on anything regarding QManager
Speedy
Legend
Team Name: Crewe Cuts

Re: You changed my mind

Postby Speedy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:11 pm

Zankman wrote:Not knowing much about E-Sports is reasonable. It is a young scene, the games are often very different - or at least their scenes - things are still kinda amateurish and evolving...
I think for me, the interest is not there. I am happy to watch others play games but generally not competitive multiplayer games.
My sort of game is slow and story-driven, like Skyrim/Fallout/TLOU/etc., and those don't translate well to player versus player competition.
The games I enjoy which do have a competitive playerbase include Civ V and AOE II, but neither is a massive community.

Still, I think it's a neat idea for a management game and me not liking LOL/DOTA/SCII/etc would not prevent me from enjoying it.
As is shown by my enjoyment of this game, while being a casual Harry Potter fan at best (and not at all into Muggle Quidditch).
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Postby Zankman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Matthueycamo wrote:*Mentions sometimes plays an e-sport*

*Accused of not liking e-sports*

Goes to show which part of your words stuck out the most. You made it sound as if you were one of the people that don't "get" E-Sports ("why would I watch others play?"). If anything, you made it clear that that is how you see a potential management game with the theme.

Speedy wrote: think for me, the interest is not there. I am happy to watch others play games but generally not competitive multiplayer games.
My sort of game is slow and story-driven, like Skyrim/Fallout/TLOU/etc., and those don't translate well to player versus player competition.
The games I enjoy which do have a competitive playerbase include Civ V and AOE II, but neither is a massive community.

AOE II has a competitive scene with people even casting matches, but, IMO, it is too long-form and too slow to be an E-Sport. Needless to say this applies to Civ as well.

Again, that is about them being E-Sports - they can be competitive games just the same and niche audiences can watch it.

Speedy wrote:Still, I think it's a neat idea for a management game and me not liking LOL/DOTA/SCII/etc would not prevent me from enjoying it.
As is shown by my enjoyment of this game, while being a casual Harry Potter fan at best (and not at all into Muggle Quidditch).

Well, I am barely into HP and I don't really find the concept of Quidditch all that entertaining - so, there is that. :P
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).
Myth
Starter
Team Name: Portsmouth Phoenixes

Postby Myth » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Seems like I missed a thing or two in the 4 days I haven't logged in. I'm glad you changed your mind, but I think we'd all respect your decision to move onto bigger and better things even if you did end QManager. But back to my first point about being glad you changed your mind, QManager is like any other internet game, it is a place where people from all over the world can come and escape the struggles and constant expectations of modern life in the comfort of anonymity. That is something personally that I've been doing every day more or less for the past however many months and the reason I and so many others keep coming back to this game and this community is because of the positive atmosphere that you created where people aren't judged, can have a good laugh and a bit of banter on the forums and within the game. Back when I started I loved every aspect of the game, all the little choices I had to make to see my team breed success and it even appealed to my analytical and commentary side of me, which saw me produce my old daily tradelist and league articles. I created many new friendships, some I still talk to on almost a daily basis and the conversations aren't even QManager related! Now that I've done the majority of things within the game and my team just floats around Honour coming second every season, it's still the game and the community that brings me back every single day to check up on my little players, get emotional if I lose by a snitch catch and get super emotional if I lose to the Corgis :P It makes me check the forums every day, sure I may not comment on things, but I do read the majority of comments and immerse myself in the conversations.

What I'm saying is thank you, thank you Andre for uniting the people of this game from all reaches of the world to a place where we can escape and build friendships that will last a life time <3 <3 <3
:WC1st: :Honour1st: :Honour1st: :Honour1st: :Honour2nd: :Honour2nd: :Honour2nd: :Honour3rd: :Honour3rd: :Honour3rd: :Gold1st: :Silver1st: :Silver1st: :Bronze1st: :Bronze1st: :Steel1st:
Zenthaar
Rookie
Team Name: Edinburgh Revenants, Waterford Undines

Postby Zenthaar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:03 am

Thank you so much for changing your mind. I've only recently started playing, and only just now did I see your forum posts about closing it down, but I really have high expectations for the game and have plans for playing it long into the future. So, again, thank you!
Image Edinburgh Revenants

:Bronze1st: Season 47
:Steel1st: Season 43
:Iron1st: Season 40
Ashwinder15
All-Star
Team Name: London Ashwinders and Oxford Buffalo

Postby Ashwinder15 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:54 am

HOLY CRAP WHAT HAPPENED?! I have had a week off of work so I've been able to check QM much more frequently and actually post some friendlies. I started browsing the recent forum posts and was very surprised to see that Cygnus was about to shut down the game! I'm really glad you decided against it. While I have gotten out of it the past few months it really is a cool concept and game and want to see a lot of other people have fun with it and see it grow. I'm not sure but I hope that I'll have the interest to be a regular here again soon. Two teams in Honour next season should help with that but my life will get pretty random again soon so we'll see. I have renewed contracts so that is all taken care of.
Ripp
Captain
Team Name: Newcastle Gunslingers, Poole Koerakoonlased

Postby Ripp » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:02 am

Same! And I just wanted to drop this here and thank Cygnus for not quitting.

I had a stretch of inactivity and when I came back to read eveything that has happened meanwhile, I had the same "HOLY CRAP" thought. Also I knew I saved my girlfriend a lot of stress by not having the opportunity to rant to her about QM being shut down. :D

I have played a number of other browser based sports management games through the ages, but for me, QM is certainly the best of them all...by far. It's not just the concept, but also the mechanics (loans based on managers imagination, roleplays, nerdy urge to make excel spreadsheets, team photos, the colours, detailed academy...ah, this could go on for a long time). The bottom line is that there are many little things I love about QM and I have never felt it with other games. Again, I'm happy that the show will go on!

Thank you.
Newcastle Gunslingers
"We deal in lead, friend."
Ashwinder15
All-Star
Team Name: London Ashwinders and Oxford Buffalo

Postby Ashwinder15 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:20 pm

Yes thank you Cygnus for keeping this going!

And I remember Cygnus mentioned something about getting frustrated about the number of users being stagnant. Which is understandable. But every couple months I remark amazed that this pretty niche game has had so many teams for a few YEARS now. It's really impressive. You should be proud Cygnus and be proud for any further longevity.
TransylvaniaHungary
Captain
Team Name: London Nemeth

Postby TransylvaniaHungary » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:31 pm

Ripp wrote:Same! And I just wanted to drop this here and thank Cygnus for not quitting.

I had a stretch of inactivity and when I came back to read eveything that has happened meanwhile, I had the same "HOLY CRAP" thought. Also I knew I saved my girlfriend a lot of stress by not having the opportunity to rant to her about QM being shut down. :D

I have played a number of other browser based sports management games through the ages, but for me, QM is certainly the best of them all...by far. It's not just the concept, but also the mechanics (loans based on managers imagination, roleplays, nerdy urge to make excel spreadsheets, team photos, the colours, detailed academy...ah, this could go on for a long time). The bottom line is that there are many little things I love about QM and I have never felt it with other games. Again, I'm happy that the show will go on!

Thank you.

+1 ;)
:Steel1st:
DrSpecial
Rookie
Team Name: Bournemouth Billywigs

Postby DrSpecial » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks for a great game
Deatheater
Legend
Team Name: None anymore

Postby Deatheater » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:02 am

cp4cfc wrote:
Deatheater wrote:
cp4cfc wrote:Yay my youth can live again, no need to send them to the glue factory!!!! It's good to hear QM will live. I need to make a effort to come here more and post more. I've been around a while but just lurk, but today I realised that I would miss this game if it ever left. So lets set myself a goal...... Most posts on the forum here we come!!!

Good luck mate, I'm afraid you'll have to battle me for that. ;)

I will follow you around the forums until I beat you or the game ends, whatever happens first!!!!

You win
Ew why was my signature so cheesy?

Really, song lyrics? Yeesh, I haven't left all of my cringiness behind. I promise, it's mostly gone now.

I should have at least quoted a less dramatic song.

Return to “Announcements”