Nations Cup III - Participate!

Updates on anything regarding QManager
Speedy
Legend
Team Name: Crewe Cuts

Re: Nations Cup III - Participate!

Postby Speedy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:15 pm

Damn. Wales had a better Keeper and slightly better Seeker, but I'd argue that Spain have better Chasers and Beaters. At the end of the day, Brenes lost 4/4 duels and so the 3rd place playoff is a deserved ending.

It's sad though, because they'll probably face at least one more retirement in the next four seasons, and this feat may never be repeated.
Xter
Hall-Of-Famer
Team Name: MU, MM, FFH, HC, GL

Postby Xter » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:00 am

Ripp wrote:Well, you got your Spain-Australia match Xter, just not the way you expected.

Eh. Still predicted it! ;) :lol:

Wales is good. I am surprised at the USA though. I was not expecting this in the slightest.
Xter

Millport Quidditch Association
Fareham Fighting-Hamsters Organization
Glasglow Lagavulin Organization
Halifax Canadiens Organization

Founder, Chief Editor, and Writer at Quidditch Weekly

Contact
Sokolov
Hall-Of-Famer
Team Name: Bristol Bangtails

Postby Sokolov » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:11 am

Speedy wrote:and this feat may never be repeated.

:roll: c'mon mate, I highly doubt that you'll be the only manager to ever get this chance.
Bristol Bangtails
Honour League
Founded Season 19
:Honour2nd: :Honour2nd: :Honour2nd: :Honour3rd:
:Gold1st: :Silver1st: :Bronze1st: :Steel1st: :Iron1st:
Ripp
Captain
Team Name: Newcastle Gunslingers, Poole Koerakoonlased

Postby Ripp » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:00 am

Sokolov wrote:

:roll: c'mon mate, I highly doubt that you'll be the only manager to ever get this chance.

He literally won't allow anyone to repeat this feat. :D
Newcastle Gunslingers
"We deal in lead, friend."
Speedy
Legend

Postby Speedy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:46 am

Sokolov wrote:

It requires 10 seasons of no squad rotation, and a lot of luck (since there are a few Spanish players which are close to National-team worthy), and on top of that the whole squad needs to be as good as (or better than) the majority of the other national teams. Alternatively, a manager needs to guess which nation will win and purchase all 7 players before the groups are announced. In my experience, people don't sell their star players cheaply, and most national teams have at least a little squad rotation during the Nation's Cup season. Maybe with a million in the bank and a lot of scouting, but that doesn't seem easier than the Badgers' method.

I'd say owning the entire Nations Cup winning squad for the entire tournament is a pretty rare feat. I don't even know if I could get this close again.
Sokolov
Hall-Of-Famer

Postby Sokolov » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:14 pm

I didn't say it's likely that someone will actually win soon, I meant that I fully expect other teams to make up the entire national team roster, like that Portugal team for example. Yeah you got pretty close, but this isn't an impossible feat, and I thought it was amusing that you said it would be near impossible to repeat. Like you said, it took 10 seasons of not changing the lineup and a bit of luck. That doesn't say 'rare near-impossible feat to me', it just says little squad rotation and a bit of luck...
Bristol Bangtails
Honour League
Founded Season 19
Sokolov
Hall-Of-Famer

Postby Sokolov » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:26 pm

Alright so now that a bunch of the new national players have been bought, can they all get portraits?
Bristol Bangtails
Honour League
Founded Season 19
Speedy
Legend

Postby Speedy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:50 am

If Wales win in the final, they'll be the only unbeaten team in the tournament. Spain lost once in the semi final and may lose in the 3rd place playoff. USA lost once in their group and may lose in the final. If the USA and Spain win, all three of the top three teams will finish with only a single loss (Spain, USA, Wales). Personally, I'd like to see Spain win (duh!) and I'd probably prefer that Wales win, so that I know I lost only to the eventual champions.
Speedy
Legend

Postby Speedy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:04 pm

Sokolov wrote:I didn't say it's likely that someone will actually win soon, I meant that I fully expect other teams to make up the entire national team roster, like that Portugal team for example. Yeah you got pretty close, but this isn't an impossible feat, and I thought it was amusing that you said it would be near impossible to repeat. Like you said, it took 10 seasons of not changing the lineup and a bit of luck. That doesn't say 'rare near-impossible feat to me', it just says little squad rotation and a bit of luck...

I think you're missing my point. Having a whole national squad is easy enough to do in the short term, but even Portugal has players from multiple teams. Australia started the Nations Cup with one Keeper but by the end they had a different one in their lineup. This would require either 7 top youngsters all purchased together, trained optimally with a full academy, playing daily friendlies but almost never rotating the squad, and some luck (that no other team in the game has a good enough young player from that country) - or the purchase of every top player in a given nation (plus a few others, in case of NT squad rotation) when they'd already become proven. I don't know if you've approached managers to sign their stars via DPN, but many will reject any offer, even if it is 300,000 G or more. For seven (possibly twelve) stars from a "good" nation (Western Europe, USA, Australia) would cost upwards of 2,000,000 G!

So yeah, the Badgers' method is more doable and more affordable, but how many managers would buy a full squad of one nation's prospects, regularly tweak training to optimize their squad, sign in daily for friendlies but never change the lineup, and do this for 10+ months on the off chance that they'd make up an entire national team. It only takes one star who they couldn't acquire from that nation to ruin everything, even if said unobtainium only plays in a single game. On top of this, the team needs to start with a full academy before even buying any of the stars, and ideally can start fielding all 7 of them at the earliest opportunity (17.0 for each of them), which means they need to be financially sound enough to face numerous relegations while maintaining a full academy.

I don't think I could do it again (unless all 7 Badgers avoid retirement before the next Nation's Cup), but if someone else wants to try it - go ahead! It won't be as easy as it looks, even if the day-to-day effort required is lower than for other teams.
Ezaco
Backup
Team Name: Kingston Marines

Postby Ezaco » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:26 pm

USA in the Finals?

USA! ALL THE WAY!
Kingston Mariners
Founded Season 28 (Match Day 14)
Re-Founded Season 41

:Iron1st: Season 43 Iron League 4 Champions
:Iron1st: Season 46 Iron League 1 Champions