QM future

A warm place for general discussion.
DarioDiConca
All-Star
Team Name: Plymouth Catchers & Isle of Manhood

QM future

Postby DarioDiConca » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:39 pm

I dont think I´m the only one feeling this, but the forum activity and the number of users in the game has been decreasing drastically. 1 year ago the number of users was around ~300 players, nowadays is in the 200´s with tendency to decrease, even in the friendlies board I see a predominant inactivity. I open this topic first to confirm that I´m not the only manager concerned with this issue and secondly to discuss with the community ways to increase the game´s activity.
:WC2nd: Season 28, 32, 48
:Honour1st: Season 27, 48
:WC3rd: Season 36
:Honour2nd: Season 26, 45,46
:Honour3rd: Season 25,34,35,37,47,49
:Bronze1st: Season 20
:Steel1st: Season 17

Founded Season 14
Founder of the "dealer system" club
Founder of the "lose 2 CWC finals in a row" club
Founder of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
Radioactive
Youngster
Team Name: Newport Eels

Re: QM future

Postby Radioactive » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:34 pm

I made an account to reply to this post. I use to play a while ago and recently started back up about a week ago and yeah I noticed the game is a lot more inactive now then it was when I played about a year ago.

My advice... marketing. You need to market this game out somehow and the best ways to do that is to actually pump some money into advertising it and from what I see this game doesn't make much revenue outside of donations. If you guys can come up with a good way to advertise the game and get the word out I will be willing to donate some money myself to this cause.

I also have noticed that the game is pretty much exactly the same as it was when I played a year ago. Meaning no new meaningful features have been added, if you were to take a look at the devtracker this would back my statement as well none of the features in devtracker have been updated since 2016. This could be why the player base is decreasing too and I think this is also a side effect of lack of revenue. The owner probably doesn't have the drive to keep making new features anymore because he doesn't really see what he'll get out of it, he has to make money to survive and he'll rather put his time and work into stuff that will make him money probably leaving less time for QM. at the end of the day it comes down to money in my opinion and if we really want to see this game succeed I think we have to donate to it.
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Postby Zankman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:09 pm

The game does not have much depth to it, ultimately; there just isn't much to do.

Now, that doesn't make it easy - effort, team building and long-term planning are all incredibly important and keys to success - but that just means that people can quickly become bored and demotivated.
Namely, there aren't that many mechanics and systems to tinker with on a daily or even weekly basis; so, when you just kinda play on, season in and season out, especially without any meaningful improvement, it becomes uninteresting.

Further, with so little (seemingly and directly) possible for a manager to do, it can become quite frustrating to see a lack of success for yourself while others thrive (like the Villains and now the Catchers); people can just get a feeling that someone, well, "figured it all out" and are now so much ahead that you might not even bother.

As implied, there are many potential features and gameplay system changes that could give more depth (and width) to the game, increasing playability in the long-term and allowing for the Managers to be engaged on a daily basis.

However...

This is a completely free game - for a niche interest - that survives off of the occasional donation. The Dev has no profit from it and thus, all passion aside, no real incentive to work hard on it.

IMO, the only way this game can turn around and become something substantial is if:

1. More gameplay mechanics and systems are added/existing ones are developed to have more depth.
2. The game is at least partially re-designed to included limited microtransaction elements (not Clash of Clans "P2W style", more like Rocking Soccer "P2GetSomeConvenience style").
3. The game is released on the Android and iPhone App Stores.

In that scenario, I can easily see the playerbase quickly increasing to ~1000 active users - and staying there, with at least 10% of them contributing with some type of payment on a monthly basis (maybe with some type of VIP membership).

At the end of the day... There are so many crappy, utterly crappy F2P browser/phone games out there - ones with far less quality and made completely cynically, without any passion - that have active playerbases and make loads of money.

QM has the charming and well-made design, thought-out systems and a small but passionate community... It deserves to be successful and make money. Why would it barely survive while hollow crap rakes in the cash?

So, screw it, add some of those F2P elements and have it be successful.
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).
Cygnus
Site Admin
Team Name: Cardiff Corgis

Postby Cygnus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:25 pm

Hey guys,

Quidditch Manager has been my passion for over five years now and while its features quickly grew within the first years, I simply cannot find the time to work on it anymore.

I basically learned how to program in php starting this and adding to it and maybe this is one of the reasons why it is such a mess to expand and build on now. There is no framework or anything. I made it all up from scratch.

As you experienced, I never got to implement the new match reports and FIS due to the demotivating pile of files I would have to edit to have it run smoothly. The ideas are all there, but time is a precious resource right now.

As the years went by, I have taken on more responsibility at my job and 6 weeks ago I became a dad, so basically there is no free time even to play games or watch a series.

With that, I will probably not invest the little time I have and will have in the future into Quidditch Manager anymore. It has become more of a preoccupation than a vent for productiveness and creativity for me.

That said, Quidditch Manager was never about the money for me. I put donations and the merchandise shop in place, so people who felt like it could help with the costs to keep the server and domain up and they did! So thanks again to all who contributed!

I considered adding micro-transactions for e.g. the Advanced Player Search feature or adding cosmetic items to dress up players etc., but again time was the defining factor against this. Since people would be paying now, they would expect more development work, so I wouldn't be able to just add premium features and leave the rest as is...

So, long story short, I'm still really into video games, programming and have even taken some Unity online classes a while ago. I don't see a future for this particular version of Quidditch Manager and since it is not a complete game, I am announcing its end, which will be after Season 60. I will create a more visible announcement later.

We can probably have another CWC and Nations Cup in Season 60 to celebrate and I will keep all your e-mail contacts in order to contact you, should there be a Quidditch Manager 2 in the works or any other project I might take on, once things settle down a bit.

I know this is the second time I announce this, but I'm pretty sure I will go through with it this time. Sorry to all who just started or left and just came back to manage some Quidditch.

With the best of all regards,
Cygnus / André

Member of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
DarioDiConca
All-Star
Team Name: Plymouth Catchers & Isle of Manhood

Postby DarioDiConca » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Why did I write this topic? xDD
:WC2nd: Season 28, 32, 48
:Honour1st: Season 27, 48
:WC3rd: Season 36
:Honour2nd: Season 26, 45,46
:Honour3rd: Season 25,34,35,37,47,49
:Bronze1st: Season 20
:Steel1st: Season 17

Founded Season 14
Founder of the "dealer system" club
Founder of the "lose 2 CWC finals in a row" club
Founder of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
Cygnus
Site Admin
Team Name: Cardiff Corgis

Postby Cygnus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:13 pm

DarioDiConca wrote:Why did I write this topic? xDD

It was actually already decided before, but now seemed like a good time to announce it. I thought about doing it after this season originally.

Member of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
Booty_Wizard
Youngster
Team Name: Barnsley BootyBouncers

Postby Booty_Wizard » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Aww man I just started too. Oh well.
In case you were wondering The Barnsley BootyBouncers both make booties bounce and have bounceable booties.

Stadium Theme Song:
[+] NSFW
Naughty words

Team Theme Song:
[+] NSFW
Naughty words + Booty in the thumbnail
SpareTheWand
Youngster
Team Name: Shrewsbury Renegades

Postby SpareTheWand » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Cygnus wrote:terribly sad announcement

Would you be up to allowing someone else to takeover? I've been having a lot of fun playing the game with some other friends. I'd be willing to keep it going if you'd be willing to talk about passing it on.
TimStark
Youngster
Team Name: Wolverhampton Wyverns

Postby TimStark » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:44 pm

SpareTheWand wrote:
Cygnus wrote:terribly sad announcement

Would you be up to allowing someone else to takeover? I've been having a lot of fun playing the game with some other friends. I'd be willing to keep it going if you'd be willing to talk about passing it on.

Having known SpareTheWand from other games, he's an incredibly capable PHP Dev who's been loving the game since a group of us playing together convinced him to join this season. If Cygnus would be willing, he'd be a reliable and dedicated Admin without a doubt. I'd really hate to see this game disappear, and it would be great if it was possible for someone else to keep it going and provide such a unique manager-style game experience.
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Postby Zankman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00 pm

I've survived the first end of the univer- official closure of Quidditch Manager so, by all that is holy, I'll survive it again!

Somehow.

Hmpf.

I think a "change of ownership" would be fair game, at least from the outside looking in... If there is someone capable and willing, I definitely vote to let them have a go at it instead of the game just being shut down.
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).

Return to “Pitchside Tavern”