A warm place for general discussion.
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Re: CWC XI

Postby Zankman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:16 pm

Well, unsurprisingly, I lost.

But, man... Look at this next round!

This is crazy, this is just not O.K. - out of the 7 Honour Teams, SIX are playing against one another! Even worse, the two of the tournament favorites are playing against one another...

Not to request too much, but, man, the seeding/drawing system needs to be adjusted for the next CWC, this is totally bogus.
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).
Ruse
All-Star
Team Name: Ayr Victory, Victoria Valkyries, HW Aethersprites

Postby Ruse » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:26 pm

Victorys are out. Valkyries are out and veelas are out.
My Islanders are my last hope.

Wow tough draws. My islanders luckily gets drawn against the Gryphons from Bronze. Hope i can revenge my veelas.
I would not change anything. I mean it hurts to get drawn early against Honour league teams, but otherwise it gave also smaller teams a chance to get far, which is a positive thing.
Pharaoh97
Backup
Team Name: Liverpool Hypogriffs, Liverpool Pharaohs, LQC

Postby Pharaoh97 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:31 pm

As difficult as it is to accept being matched vs the Hood being a Honour league team and seeing a div 4 matchup in the next round, I also remember my run from the last CWC as I was a div 5 team and made it to the round of 16. Big part of that was due to the lucky draws I had. So even if this system isn't in my advantage now I wouldn't change it right now.

However, this CWC was a bit too much. Maybe a system like in pro tennis of a random draw but with top teams with seeds protected from seeing eachother too early would be nice. The randomness would still be here but with at least a just system for the top teams who shouldn't play against before the round of 16 imo. The fact that probably the top two teams in the game are playing eachothers while there is a bronze league matchup in the same round should raise a bit of concerns.
Proud owner of the Liverpool Hypogriffs:
Founded season 47,
Season 52 Steel division 2 champion :Steel1st: ,
Season 53 Bronze league 2 co-champion,
Season 54 Silver league runner-up,
Reached Honour at season 56

Liverpool Pharaohs :Iron1st: :Steel1st: :Silver1st:
Liverpool QC :Iron1st:
Xter
Hall-Of-Famer
Team Name: MU, MM, FFH, HC, GL

Postby Xter » Mon May 01, 2017 2:04 am

Hamsters avenging their finals loss to the Victory!

Canadiens with the Cupset, and MU is out.

Pharaoh97 wrote:However, this CWC was a bit too much. Maybe a system like in pro tennis of a random draw but with top teams with seeds protected from seeing eachother too early would be nice. The randomness would still be here but with at least a just system for the top teams who shouldn't play against before the round of 16 imo. The fact that probably the top two teams in the game are playing eachothers while there is a bronze league matchup in the same round should raise a bit of concerns.

Yeah, but that makes it TOO easy for top teams and allows some low-seeded teams to luck their way through and become the beloved underdog, even if it is only because of luck.
Xter

Millport Quidditch Association
Fareham Fighting-Hamsters Organization
Glasglow Lagavulin Organization
Halifax Canadiens Organization

Founder, Chief Editor, and Writer at Quidditch Weekly

Contact
MSteele
Starter
Team Name: Hartlepool Midshipmen

Postby MSteele » Mon May 01, 2017 2:09 am

Well, Like predicted, I'm out. In a funny twist of fate, the Glasgow Gryphons, who feature 3 of my former players from the lower league days, have advanced. So I shall bandwagon fan them until their inevitable knockout in the R16 as they play a good team.
Newcastle East: Season 29-46
1x Iron Division Champions

Hartlepool Midshipmen: Founded Season 47
Promoted to Iron Season 47
Promoted to Steel Season 48
Promoted to Bronze Season 52
Bronze 2 Champion Season 53
Silver League third place Season 54
Gold League runner up Season 55
Cygnus
Site Admin
Team Name: Cardiff Corgis

Postby Cygnus » Mon May 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Yeah, let's just seed the tournament and have an All-Honour Round of 16. Super fun.

European soccer cup competitions are usually random draws and single-elimination, which makes upsets more likely to happen. Also, you can have big clashes throughout the whole tournament and in the CWC your team has to be prepared for anything and live up to the task, which makes it so hard to win. We've all had our early knockouts in the CWC.

If we look at it right now, probably 5 out of 8 teams in the Quarter Finals will be from Honour, 2 from Gold and 1 from Bronze, which won against a Gold team in the last round.

There are 8 Honour teams left right now and the chance of them getting drawn into separate matches was very low anyways.

Member of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
Pharaoh97
Backup
Team Name: Liverpool Hypogriffs, Liverpool Pharaohs, LQC

Postby Pharaoh97 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Cygnus wrote:Yeah, let's just seed the tournament and have an All-Honour Round of 16. Super fun.

European soccer cup competitions are usually random draws and single-elimination, which makes upsets more likely to happen. Also, you can have big clashes throughout the whole tournament and in the CWC your team has to be prepared for anything and live up to the task, which makes it so hard to win. We've all had our early knockouts in the CWC.

If we look at it right now, probably 5 out of 8 teams in the Quarter Finals will be from Honour, 2 from Gold and 1 from Bronze, which won against a Gold team in the last round.

There are 8 Honour teams left right now and the chance of them getting drawn into separate matches was very low anyways.

Like I said, I dont mind the actual system as it gives some lower teams chances to make some cup runs just like I did when I started. To win the cup you have to face the strongest teams one day anyway. I was just suggesting an alternative to remove the total randomness of the draws. I mean success in all kind of sports and game should not be determined by luck but I also like the fact that their can be suprises and cup runs in the CWC.
Proud owner of the Liverpool Hypogriffs:
Founded season 47,
Season 52 Steel division 2 champion :Steel1st: ,
Season 53 Bronze league 2 co-champion,
Season 54 Silver league runner-up,
Reached Honour at season 56

Liverpool Pharaohs :Iron1st: :Steel1st: :Silver1st:
Liverpool QC :Iron1st:
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Postby Zankman » Tue May 02, 2017 11:45 am

Upsets should happen because it is just Single Elimination and you don't know what can happen.

But this system is silly - yeah, I don't mind the Ro16 being all Honour Teams if they deserve to be there.

I mean: Is this supposed to be a RNG tournament that forces upsets and "le random deep Cup runs" or one that determines who is the best?

IMO it is far too skewered in the favor of RNG/luck at this moment... The League is obviously the primary form of competition and it is supposed to determine the best Team, but the Cup really shouldn't be such a random RNG fest either.
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).
DarioDiConca
All-Star
Team Name: Plymouth Catchers & Isle of Manhood

Postby DarioDiConca » Tue May 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Cygnus wrote:Yeah, let's just seed the tournament and have an All-Honour Round of 16. Super fun.

European soccer cup competitions are usually random draws and single-elimination, which makes upsets more likely to happen. Also, you can have big clashes throughout the whole tournament and in the CWC your team has to be prepared for anything and live up to the task, which makes it so hard to win. We've all had our early knockouts in the CWC. excuse me? xD

I like the current system, it gives smaller teams the chance to show their value and being in the spotlight, also it helps to predict which teams have the potential to be successful in the top league. CWC is like a big party where everyone participates, with all the respect, restricting the cup only to honour league would be elitist.
:WC2nd: Season 28, 32, 48
:Honour1st: Season 27, 48
:WC3rd: Season 36
:Honour2nd: Season 26, 45,46
:Honour3rd: Season 25,34,35,37,47,49
:Bronze1st: Season 20
:Steel1st: Season 17

Founded Season 14
Founder of the "dealer system" club
Founder of the "lose 2 CWC finals in a row" club
Founder of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
Ruse
All-Star
Team Name: Ayr Victory, Victoria Valkyries, HW Aethersprites

Postby Ruse » Wed May 03, 2017 12:26 am

Maybe i repeat some meanings,sorry for that.

but what would be the alternative cup rules?
To play it like tennis with seedings?
That would bring very boring first rounds and would eliminate all small teams directly or in 2nd round if some teams reach a cupset.
That doesn´t sound nice for me and in this game it´s not that possible to reach a cupset than it is in rl cups like the german cup in football.

I think the cup should be as it is to gave also small teams a chance to reach higher rounds, cash some money, which they can need much more then old teams and get a well deserved day in the sportlight, where they can make their team a name in the community.

Otherwise why it should be important that a big number of big teams come far? Of cause it´s always nice to come far, but otherwise it hasn´t any effect if you fail in Round 2 or the Round of best 16 except to be more in the spotlight. (what Honourteams are most time in the game)

Of cause RNG plays a role, and last tournaments i had lot´s of luck, but in the final rounds you always have to face good teams who mostly come from Honourleague or have Honourleaguequality squads, so you can´t win the title by winning just against smallteams. You need to beat the best teams to become the best, and that´s why it is a fair tournament.

Return to “Pitchside Tavern”