Honour League - Season 57

A warm place for general discussion.
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Honour League - Season 57

Postby Zankman » Sun May 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Welcome to another season of Honour League action!

==================================================

Compared to what happened last time around, this Season starts in a much more stable fashion, with all of the Teams from the previous Season returning (excluding the Promoted/Relegated Teams).

As a result, we can except to continue where we left off from last Season, barring any big changes to individual line-ups happening.

Matchday 1 Spotlight:

Ensuring dominion - The defending Honour League Champions, the mighty Plymouth Catchers, start off the new Season by playing the Millport United and Liverpool Hypogriffs.
It should not be too tough of the task for the defending Champs (51-9), however, a steady and controlled start is always desired. The Catchers will nonetheless be heavy favorites as they take on the Hypogriffs, a solid Team that finished 11th (25-35) in Season 56, along with the United, a Team that just beat out the Hypogriffs, finishing 10th (26-34).

It's High Noon - The one-time Honour League Champions, the Newcastle Gunslingers, play away at the Kingston Killers and then welcome the Harrogate Villains.
The Gunslingers, whom finished 6th (31-29) in Season 56 (just edging out the Exeter Patronum), will face the toughest start of the new Season - they have the task of defeating the Killers , the winners of CWC XI and owners of a strong 4th-place finish (35-25) in the League, followed by a tough home Match against the "Franchise" of the 10-time Honour League Champions, the Villains, who themselves finished 2nd (42-18) in this past Season.

Sinking in the dock? - The Hartlepool Midshipmen start their sophomore Season in Honour by having the, well, honour to play against the Harrogate Villains and Isle of Man Hood.
Although they had a very respectable 9th-place finish themselves (28-32), the Midshipmen will have a very tough task to start Season 57, as they face off not only against the legendary Villains, but the extremely potent Hood as well (with the Hood all but sharing the Villains' 2nd-place finish in this past Season, also going 42-18).
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).
Pharaoh97
Backup
Team Name: Liverpool Hypogriffs, Liverpool Pharaohs, LQC

Re: Honour League - Season 57

Postby Pharaoh97 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Zankman wrote:Welcome to another season of Honour League action!

Compared to what happened last time around, this Season starts in a much more stable fashion, with all of the Teams from the previous Season returning (excluding the Promoted/Relegated Teams).

As a result, we can except to continue where we left off from last Season, barring any big changes to individual line-ups happening.

Matchday 1 Spotlight:

Ensuring dominion - The defending Honour League Champions, the mighty Plymouth Catchers, start off the new Season by playing the Millport United and Liverpool Hypogriffs.
It should not be too tough of the task for the defending Champs (51-9), however, a steady and controlled start is always desired. The Catchers will nonetheless be heavy favorites as they take on the Hypogriffs, a solid Team that finished 11th (25-35) in Season 56, along with the United, a Team that just beat out the Hypogriffs, finishing 10th (26-34).

It's High Noon - The one-time Honour League Champions, the Newcastle Gunslingers, play away at the Kingston Killers and then welcome the Harrogate Villains.
The Gunslingers, whom finished 6th (31-29) in Season 56 (just edging out the Exeter Patronum), will face the toughest start of the new Season - they have the task of defeating the Killers , the winners of CWC XI and owners of a strong 4th-place finish (35-25) in the League, followed by a tough home Match against the "Franchise" of the 10-time Honour League Champions, the Villains, who themselves finished 2nd (42-18) in this past Season.

Sinking in the dock? - The Hartlepool Midshipmen start their sophomore Season in Honour by having the, well, honour to play against the Harrogate Villains and Isle of Man Hood.
Although they had a very respectable 9th-place finish themselves (28-32), the Midshipmen will have a very tough task to start Season 57, as they face off not only against the legendary Villains, but the extremely potent Hood as well (with the Hood all but sharing the Villains' 2nd-place finish in this past Season, also going 42-18).

Are you going to continue doing those type of analysis or was it just for the first day?

It would be cool to have a game of the day update in this thread. I wouldn't mind doing it with someone else.
Proud owner of the Liverpool Hypogriffs:
Founded season 47,
Season 52 Steel division 2 champion :Steel1st: ,
Season 53 Bronze league 2 co-champion,
Season 54 Silver league runner-up,
Reached Honour at season 56

Liverpool Pharaohs :Iron1st: :Steel1st:
Liverpool QC
Ruse
All-Star
Team Name: Ayr Victory, Victoria Valkyries, HW Aethersprites

Postby Ruse » Mon May 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Great introduction in the season. Good job Zankman.
Would be cool to have match of the day posts.
MSteele
Starter
Team Name: Hartlepool Midshipmen

Postby MSteele » Mon May 15, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm just going to echo the sentiments of everybody else with how well done it is, even if it takes a dig at my team :P . We did manage to beat the Villains though. Just wondering how you picked which teams to spotlight. I'm guessing it is based on strength of team and strength of opponent right?
Newcastle East: Season 29-46
1x Iron Division Champions

Hartlepool Midshipmen: Founded Season 47
Promoted to Iron Season 47
Promoted to Steel Season 48
Promoted to Bronze Season 52
Bronze 2 Champion Season 53
Silver League third place Season 54
Gold League runner up Season 55
Pharaoh97
Backup

Postby Pharaoh97 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 pm

MSteele wrote:I'm just going to echo the sentiments of everybody else with how well done it is, even if it takes a dig at my team :P . We did manage to beat the Villains though. Just wondering how you picked which teams to spotlight. I'm guessing it is based on strength of team and strength of opponent right?

I gattered some stats between are two teams since I think they are very comparable based on the fact that they both are fairly young clubs already in honour.

Since season 50, in division Steel 2, the Liverpool Hypogriffs and the Hartlepool Midshipmens have played against for 7 consecutive seasons at 5 different levels. Both teams spent seasons 50, 51 and 52 in Steel 2 and then gained promotion for 4 consecutive years to reach honour. In those seven seasons, the Hypogriffs had the advantage in the derby of the 'pools with 17 wins in the 28 competitive matchups the clubs had.

During those first seven seasons against eachother, both teams gained one title in the lower division in their quest to honour but the most impressive stat is that both teams have an overall league record of 295-125 during these seasons. This shows how even the teams have been, even though the Midshipmens had the advantage in the last 2 seasons in that regard.
Founded season 47,

Liverpool QC
Zankman
All-Star

Postby Zankman » Mon May 15, 2017 7:12 pm

* I made some small grammar/spelling mistakes. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

* Dunno why I said that the Gunslingers had the toughest start when the Midshipmen had a tougher one.

* Pharaoh97, try not to quote so much text!

* Pharaoh97, you're welcome to join in and/or replace me (for example, today). Try to keep it simple, tho, as this isn't RP.

* MSteele, didn't mean anything as a jab, just trying to keep it interesting - which also explains my match-up highlights, as I was looking for the most intense ones.

* I am at work and cannot do a write-up for today... I will try to do one retroactively if need be!

* Overall, I started this because the community needs more life... Even if it is just me making 1 dedicated post per day.
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
Pharaoh97
Backup

Postby Pharaoh97 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Match day 2 Spotlight:

The Isle of Man derby-The Hood and the Islanders will play against in the first local derby of the Honour league season. Finishing last seasons at opposite sides of the table, both teams started the season with a win and a loss on day one. Coming off a strong third place finish, the Hood will look to show is dominance once again with a win in a matchup in his favour. The Hood started their season with a strong performance against the Midshipmens and a suprising loss to Millport United. Meanwhile, the Islanders faced two newly promoted teams on day 1 and came away with a win agaisnt the Misfits but empty handed against the Valkyries. The pacific based team will still be looking to stay in the top league after this season and their strong chaserline could help them cause a suprise in this second day derby.

Battle for survival-The newly promoted teams of the Millport Misfits and the Swansea Snorkack will face eachother in day 2. Both teams have had a tough return to the top league with a 0-2 start of the season. Even with the season still young, the battle to avoid relegation is started and both teams will look to get some possible wins. After finishing third in Gold last season and grabbing the last promotion spot, the Misfits took two harsh losses to the Islanders and the Victory in day one. The Snorkacks who were the Gold league runner-ups after losing the title in the last matchday were not able to get a satisfying result against the Hypogriffs and the Fighting-Hamsters. Even if both of these teams are currently at the bottom of the league, this should be an intersting matchup.

Welcome back-The Victoria Valkyries are returning to honour this season after winning Gold last season. For the first time since season 49, they are playing in the top quidditch league. After playing against the Islanders and the Fighting-Hamsters, two lower table teams from last seasons, in the inaugural day, the Valkyries will get a real taste of the top teams today by facing two quidditch giants, the Plymouth Catchers and the Harrogate Villains. The two top teams of last year should give a tough time to the the newcomers. The Catchers started their season with a destructive win against the Hypogriffs and a opportunistic performance against the Hamsters. The Villains, on the other side, were suprised by the Midshipmens but saved their day with a dominant victory against the Gunslingers. Victoria will hope to cause a suprise and build a good momentum to start the season but those two matchups should be tough for them.

Did I do well? Btw, English ain't my primary language so I expect a few errors in the text
Founded season 47,

Liverpool QC
cygnus-flamel
Hall-Of-Famer
Team Name: Swansea Alchemists, Dublin BlackCats, Convocation

Postby cygnus-flamel » Mon May 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Pharaoh97 wrote:Match day 2 Spotlight:

The Isle of Man derby-The Hood and the Islanders will play against in the first local derby of the Honour league season. Finishing last seasons at opposite sides of the table, both teams started the season with a win and a loss on day one. Coming off a strong third place finish, the Hood will look to show is dominance once again with a win in a matchup in his favour. The Hood started their season with a strong performance against the Midshipmens and a suprising loss to Millport United. Meanwhile, the Islanders faced two newly promoted teams on day 1 and came away with a win agaisnt the Misfits but empty handed against the Valkyries. The pacific based team will still be looking to stay in the top league after this season and their strong chaserline could help them cause a suprise in this second day derby.

Battle for survival-The newly promoted teams of the Millport Misfits and the Swansea Snorkack will face eachother in day 2. Both teams have had a tough return to the top league with a 0-2 start of the season. Even with the season still young, the battle to avoid relegation is started and both teams will look to get some possible wins. After finishing third in Gold last season and grabbing the last promotion spot, the Misfits took two harsh losses to the Islanders and the Victory in day one. The Snorkacks who were the Gold league runner-ups after losing the title in the last matchday were not able to get a satisfying result against the Hypogriffs and the Fighting-Hamsters. Even if both of these teams are currently at the bottom of the league, this should be an intersting matchup.

Welcome back-The Victoria Valkyries are returning to honour this season after winning Gold last season. For the first time since season 49, they are playing in the top quidditch league. After playing against the Islanders and the Fighting-Hamsters, two lower table teams from last seasons, in the inaugural day, the Valkyries will get a real taste of the top teams today by facing two quidditch giants, the Plymouth Catchers and the Harrogate Villains. The two top teams of last year should give a tough time to the the newcomers. The Catchers started their season with a destructive win against the Hypogriffs and a opportunistic performance against the Hamsters. The Villains, on the other side, were suprised by the Midshipmens but saved their day with a dominant victory against the Gunslingers. Victoria will hope to cause a suprise and build a good momentum to start the season but those two matchups should be tough for them.

Did I do well? Btw, English ain't my primary language so I expect a few errors in the text

Nice report, also didnt know that there was already a team from Swansea on Honor, seems the Alchemists lost the race to be the first swansea-based team on Honor, but they still can be the first one to win it ;) . On other news i hope we can see a new champion on Honor this season that isnt Villains or Catchers...
Swansea Alchemists. Founded season 25.
Titles: :Steel1st: S.30, :Bronze1st: S.38, :Silver1st: s.40

Dublin BlackCats. Founded season 29.
Titles: Oak S.30, :Steel1st: s.41
MSteele
Starter
Team Name: Hartlepool Midshipmen

Postby MSteele » Mon May 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Pharaoh97 wrote: I gattered some stats between are two teams since I think they are very comparable based on the fact that they both are fairly young clubs already in honour.

Since season 50, in division Steel 2, the Liverpool Hypogriffs and the Hartlepool Midshipmens have played against for 7 consecutive seasons at 5 different levels. Both teams spent seasons 50, 51 and 52 in Steel 2 and then gained promotion for 4 consecutive years to reach honour. In those seven seasons, the Hypogriffs had the advantage in the derby of the 'pools with 17 wins in the 28 competitive matchups the clubs had.

During those first seven seasons against eachother, both teams gained one title in the lower division in their quest to honour but the most impressive stat is that both teams have an overall league record of 295-125 during these seasons. This shows how even the teams have been, even though the Midshipmens had the advantage in the last 2 seasons in that regard.

Not going to lie, that's some really impressive number crunching. And great write up for match day two btw.
Newcastle East: Season 29-46
1x Iron Division Champions

Hartlepool Midshipmen: Founded Season 47
Promoted to Iron Season 47
Promoted to Steel Season 48
Promoted to Bronze Season 52
Bronze 2 Champion Season 53
Silver League third place Season 54
Gold League runner up Season 55
Zankman
All-Star

Postby Zankman » Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 pm

Good write-up Pharaoh, props!

Yeah, I can tell that English isn't your first language - some minor quirks here and there - but it was still a good and readable write-up.

I like how you did the appropriate research and provided us with more context (like looking at the recent histories of the Teams).

One thing that kinda annoys me is that, well, the game refers to the cycles as "Match Days"... Which doesn't really make sense, now does it?

It's more like "Match Week", with each one having two Match Days.
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Inspiration

Return to “Pitchside Tavern”