QM future

A warm place for general discussion.
Zankman
All-Star
Team Name: London Dynamo

Re: QM future

Postby Zankman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:18 am

SUSPICION = INTENSIFIES

On a serious note, fair enough. Gone are the days of TS/Vent/Skype, Discord is so dominant now because of its efficiency of being a great Voice Chat and Text Chat and persistent forum/message board/image board - all at the same time.

So, in that sense I can get why all of you talk about the game there, as an established group, rather than here; would have definitely helped if you guys joined the forum earlier, though, given that your group would have increased forum activity by... 300%, lol.

BTW: NationStates?

Oh wow, then I can totally believe all of this, haha! NS attracts a specific type of nerd/geek, perfect for a game/experience like QM!

I "play" it too (just do the issues and chit-chat in the Regional Board, no dedicated RPing and stuff) and I recall seeing a thread in the Sports forum about a Quidditch Tournament, haha.

---

@SpareTheWand

Hey man, if you have the skills and the desire, I 100% support it.
Legacy of the London Dynamo
Founded:
Season 30 - Sapling 8.
Promotions (first season in new league):
Season 31 - Oak 5.
Season 32 - Iron 4.
Season 34 - Steel 3.
Season 37 - Bronze 2.
Season 38 - Silver.
Season 41 - Gold.
Season 44 - Honour.
Titles:
Season 48 - Club World Cup 1st Place.
Highest Honour Placement(s):
Season 44 - 5th.
Rivals:
Isle of Man Hood, Gillingham Giants, London Asswinders, London Ravens, Exeter Patronum, Dudley Dursleys...
Inspiration
London Inquisitors (RIP, S24 - S40).
Booty_Wizard
Youngster
Team Name: Barnsley BootyBouncers

Postby Booty_Wizard » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:24 am

I suppose it does take a certain type of nerd to enjoy slow updating browser games.
In case you were wondering The Barnsley BootyBouncers both make booties bounce and have bounceable booties.

Stadium Theme Song:
[+] NSFW
Naughty words

Team Theme Song:
[+] NSFW
Naughty words + Booty in the thumbnail
Cokeland Bay-Saxton
Youngster
Team Name: Manchester UnitedFC

Postby Cokeland Bay-Saxton » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:25 am

It is a lot easier to discuss QM on Discord than on the site itself. We also enjoy teasing each other about our teams' skills and handing out Ls to others in our division (like me and Booty_Wizard).
Manchester UnitedFC
Iron League
Founded Season 57
Booty_Wizard
Youngster
Team Name: Barnsley BootyBouncers

Postby Booty_Wizard » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:27 am

Cokeland Bay-Saxton wrote:It is a lot easier to discuss QM on Discord than on the site itself. We also enjoy teasing each other about our teams' skills and handing out Ls to others in our division (like me and Booty_Wizard).

Matchday 23, your booty is mine.
In case you were wondering The Barnsley BootyBouncers both make booties bounce and have bounceable booties.

Stadium Theme Song:
[+] NSFW
Naughty words

Team Theme Song:
[+] NSFW
Naughty words + Booty in the thumbnail
TimStark
Youngster
Team Name: Wolverhampton Wyverns

Postby TimStark » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:30 am

Zankman wrote:BTW: NationStates?

Oh wow, then I can totally believe all of this, haha! NS attracts a specific type of nerd/geek, perfect for a game/experience like QM!

I "play" it too (just do the issues and chit-chat in the Regional Board, no dedicated RPing and stuff) and I recall seeing a thread in the Sports forum about a Quidditch Tournament, haha.

Been there north of 7 years now, still somehow retained most of my sanity! Pretty sure SpareTheWand is at around 12-13 years. Most of us are from the Gameplay area of NS, but it's definitely a game that has something for everyone

Well... except Quidditch. I've got this game for Quidditch! :D
benevolent thomas
Youngster
Team Name: Cambridge Crunch

Postby benevolent thomas » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:30 am

I feel like I should say something, given that I was the first of this modern batch of NationStates players to come to this site. This story goes back to 2014 and a region called Hogwarts. We had just stolen the region back from a hostile group and were planning on building a new community for fans of Harry Potter on NationStates. Something I desired deeply was a Quidditch simulator that we could use to run our Quidditch Cup. Type "quidditch simulator" in Google and QM shows up. At a glance, this game looked quite fascinating, but it was not the program I needed at the time, so we kept looking. We actually did find a Quidditch program that allowed us to make our own teams and we rolled with it for a season. Not fully satisfied with how it ran, we in Hogwarts designed a new program based off that prior program with improvements we had thought of. We actually were inspired by this site to make the Snitch worth 50pts rather than 150 to keep the games balanced. We were still testing out this new program, when members of the Hogwarts community, starting with myself, had become less active on the site for various reasons. The community faded out once more and I eventually stopped playing NationStates.

Fast forward to this spring, I once again have time on my hands for a browser game. I didn't want to come back to NationStates, because it does have a bit of an addictive tug to it once you dive in. Having recently fallen in love with EA's NHL 18, I was craving a sports franchise simulator and QM quickly came to mind. I played it for a partial season and fell in love with it. I was tempted to get involved with the forum community, but it looked dead, so I did what I thought was the next best thing. I logged into my old Discord and told my NS friends, starting with Tim Stark, about this game that I was playing. He joined up that day and fell in love even faster than I had and had begun recruiting NationStates players left and right to join us. I actually have no idea how many of us there are here now, but I know the best of us have only managed to crawl into the Steel Division in the few season's we've been here for.

As someone who has had to leave websites and their communities behind in the past, I wouldn't tell Cygnus to trust these random strangers to take the reigns of his brainchild. This is too great to be left in the hands of the unproven. If there is a veteran member of the community that Cygnus has gotten to know, who also knows how to code and stuff like that, I'd ask that said member be given the keys to the city. That new person can be confident that there is at least a small community behind them, ready to give ideas and technical advice should it be requested. I'm laughably technologically illiterate, but my friends like SpareTheWand are quite talented.

And if that's not possible... I guess we should partner up with the remaining QM community to build something new. I'm sure it is far from easy, but hey, summer is the slowest season in my work schedule :P
SpareTheWand
Youngster
Team Name: Shrewsbury Renegades

Postby SpareTheWand » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:06 am

benevolent thomas wrote:As someone who has had to leave websites and their communities behind in the past, I wouldn't tell Cygnus to trust these random strangers to take the reigns of his brainchild. This is too great to be left in the hands of the unproven. If there is a veteran member of the community that Cygnus has gotten to know, who also knows how to code and stuff like that, I'd ask that said member be given the keys to the city. That new person can be confident that there is at least a small community behind them, ready to give ideas and technical advice should it be requested.

By all means, if there's someone who is an active member of this community I'd step back in a heartbeat. I'm with you when it comes to handing over the keys, we've both been there before. In the 13 years I've been on NS you're one of 2 people I'd trust with the keys to the things I've built. I can appreciate the weight of a situation like this.

I think it would be a shame for QM to just not exist anymore because it can't be maintained.
Radioactive
Youngster
Team Name: Newport Eels

Postby Radioactive » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:10 am

theoretically how much do you think a site like this is worth?
Radioactive
Youngster
Team Name: Newport Eels

Postby Radioactive » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:13 am

Zankman wrote:As excited I am at the prospect of the game continuing to live...

Ya know, all of this is very suspicious, lol.

Suddenly a huge group of supposedly related but completely unknown players voicing themselves on this topic and showing support for a takeover?

I mean... It's great if true, good to hear that a community of friends/acquaintances plays this game together - but it would be far, far less suspicious/weird if any of you had more than 1 post, lol.

In other words: You all kinda came out of nowhere. Would have been great if all of you had been posting on this forum on a daily basis, keeping it more active...
As it stands now, I give all of you a 33.3% chance of being legit, a 33.3% chance of being a bunch of trolls and a 33.3% chance of being some very weird multi-account thing.

Hope I'm wrong, tho!

it is pretty suspicious but what do we have to lose though?

PS - I also played NS a while back and I remember when they made NS 2 which had potential but JOLT did some shady stuff.
djames2322
Rookie
Team Name: Wakefield Griffins

Postby djames2322 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:29 am

It's really a matter of what Cygnus wants to do. I personally haven't been very active in the forums because I just don't know what to say but I have read a lot of the stuff--just don't write in it much. I started this game around this past December or so and I've checked it just about every single day. Somehow, I managed to get into the Gold League (where I'm actually doing decently well, to my surprise) and I am pretty devastated to see this. I was really thinking I'd get a shot at the Honour League one day.

So, yes, I would absolutely love if the site continued, under anyone.

With that said, we have to put ourselves in Cygnus's place. This is his creative work, something he put his heart into. Asking him to pass the torch to someone else is less like changing commissioners in a sports league and more equivalent to a novelist letting somebody else take over writing a series that he started. That's pretty hard to do. Also, it sounds like he still is open to the idea of a new QM one day and by leaving it to somebody else, he basically loses all of his loyal customers.

So, yes, I would love to be able to continue playing QM. It's probably my favorite part of the internet. But I wouldn't feel right about it if it's just Cygnus being pressured to please the users he has already created such a great game for. If he would really rather it go on under someone else than let it go entirely, then yes, sounds great.

Otherwise, thank you Cygnus. You truly made seven months of my life better. And congratulations on this new chapter in your own life!

Return to “Pitchside Tavern”