QM future

A warm place for general discussion.
Pharaoh97
Backup
Team Name: Liverpool Hypogriffs, Liverpool Pharaohs, LQC

Re: QM future

Postby Pharaoh97 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:24 am

It makes me sad to see QM come to an end especially since I was really starting to establish my teams at the top.

With that said, I want to thank Cygnus for putting this game and keeping it going for all these years. I completely respect your decision and wish you the best of luck in the future. Also congrats on becoming a dad :D

Also, it amazes me to see how many hidden players just show up and make the forum so much more active. If QM can pass another/others and can keep going under new management, I think its great to suddenly have some activity in the community. I wont get my hopes to high but its a step in the right direction.
Proud owner of the Liverpool Hypogriffs:
Founded season 47,
Season 52 Steel division 2 champion :Steel1st: ,
Season 53 Bronze league 2 co-champion,
Season 54 Silver league runner-up,
Reached Honour at season 56

Liverpool Pharaohs :Iron1st: :Steel1st: :Silver1st:
Liverpool QC :Iron1st:
Speedy
Legend
Team Name: Crewe Cuts

Postby Speedy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:26 am

Congrats on fatherhood, dude.

I understand your decision and I look forward to future updates on QM2 or something similar. That said, it is once again a very sad day to see this project coming to an end.
It was hard to find the time to check in daily and compete at the level I used to, so I imagine it was even harder doing that and working on the game, with or without family commitments.

I'll cherish these final seasons, hopefully I'll reach the top of Bronze by the end of S60!

Speedy
Zalarh
Youngster
Team Name: York Rockets

Postby Zalarh » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:48 pm

I am sad to see this. I have been playing and enjoying this game for about a year now. I never registered on the forums because I play the game during my alone time and using this time away from social interactions to come discuss on forums don't make much sense.

Anyway the reason I registered was to say Thank You. It was really fun to login every morning, forget about real life a bit and picture myself as a Quidditch club manager.
Cygnus
Site Admin
Team Name: Cardiff Corgis

Postby Cygnus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Sorry guys, but I can't hand over the game to someone else. Here are some reasons why...

A) Personal philosophies and preferences went into QM, like that you'd have to play it to learn it, there's no direct reference to the Harry Potter franchise etc. There a certain style to what made it into the game and what has been kept away.

B) It would take a lot of time to understand how everything works, that said it would probably take some sort of training to get the new admin up to speed, which I wouldn't be supplying.

C) It would mean to possibly shut the door for a future second version. The new admin could do whatever with the server and domain, lose interest, vanish etc. Even if small and bad, there is a certain reputation to the name of Quidditch Manager, which I would like to preserve.

I hope you understand that I'd rather bury this than to give it to someone else, even if some of you might lose a treasured experience.

As mentioned, nothing impedes any of you to build something simpler, similar or even better. If you take it as a community effort and decentralize a bit, I can see how it could become something big and thriving. I know I would take a look and join in to help out where I feel like contributing.

Member of the "lose honour league in the last match to the second placed team that became the first placed team" club
djames2322
Rookie
Team Name: Wakefield Griffins

Postby djames2322 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm

I think everyone will understand that, Cygnus, as I mentioned earlier it would be like an author having someone else finish out a book series for them. QM was a great game and I'm sad to see it go--I hope to hear about a sequel one day.
SpareTheWand
Youngster
Team Name: Shrewsbury Renegades

Postby SpareTheWand » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:07 pm

Man, that's too bad. I get it, though. It's hard to put a ton of time and energy into something and then watch it change without being able to have a hand in the direction.

There's a part of me that still wants to bug you to open source it or something so I can fork from this project to start something else, but I get the feeling you're pretty settled on letting this one slide.

Maybe there is something that can be done in a new direction. If I went forward with a clone I couldn't do Quidditch. You want to keep the door open for part 2 and making a part 2 gets in the way of that. Maybe Blitzball, that's basically water Quidditch anyway. :)

Best of luck to you moving forward. My wife and I just had our 4th and I totally understand the time it takes to be a part of the family, especially while you're still trying to figure it out. This is a beautiful time in life and you're making the right choice to spend more time with them. :)
benevolent thomas
Youngster
Team Name: Cambridge Crunch

Postby benevolent thomas » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Thank you for creating such a fun and niche game, Cygnus. Playing this game was loads better than harassing EA to make a newer, better Quidditch game. I wish I got to see this community at its peak.
SpareTheWand
Youngster
Team Name: Shrewsbury Renegades

Postby SpareTheWand » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Follow up:

Is there anything in the way of just leaving the site up? If you move away from a developer role and treat it more as a player/admin, then this would certainly free up a lot of time. If you get time you can tweak things as more of a hobby and the community still gets to enjoy the game as it is, because I can assure you that people really do enjoy QM in its current state.
Deatheater
Legend
Team Name: None anymore

Postby Deatheater » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:47 pm

My internet's been up and down for a while now, making it difficult to log in. I finally get a chance and come to see this. Perhaps my internet connection would be better off dysfunctional.
I honestly have nothing unique to say on "I'm so sad to see this go" because everyone else has already said it, so, um, yeah. The first time this happened wasn't such a great experience, but at least this will be a little more peaceful.

(To all those who weren't there, I kind of hit the doomsday button, losing my team and yelling at everybody for everything)

I have no say in any of this and therefore no opinion to be stated without offending someone. I seem to be accidentally proficient in that. @Cygnus Good luck with the future, don't be a spitwad to your son/daughter, don't let him/her grow up like my little brother, and keep on doing whatever it is you do as well as you do it.

Just a little confusing and cynical comment to wish you luck.

Sincerely, Deatheater

aaaAAAaaAaAaAaaaAAAaahHhhhHhhHHHhHH
Last edited by Deatheater on Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ew why was my signature so cheesy?

Really, song lyrics? Yeesh, I haven't left all of my cringiness behind. I promise, it's mostly gone now.

I should have at least quoted a less dramatic song.
Ruse
All-Star
Team Name: Ayr Victory, Victoria Valkyries, HW Aethersprites

Postby Ruse » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Thank you for developing the game.
I´m very sad to see the game go. I had lot´s of fun to manage my teams each day and do some stuff in the community and even if it was a simple manager game, i think it had more charm then all other manager games i played so far.
I hope you find time to bring out QM2 in future so my Victorys and my other teams could fight again for glory and i woud be happy to receive an email then to join the game again or also if you bring out another game.
Congratulation for your new arrival and all best wishes and luck for you and your family.

Return to “Pitchside Tavern”